Vinyl records.... (A Rant)

• 24 Replies

guest28

Vinyl records.... (A Rant)
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
I got back into collecting vinyl around 2007, way before it became popular again. back then, New vinyl was rare but there were loads of great deals for used vinyl to be had.
Fast forward to today, and i pretty much dont buy any vinyl now, either new or used, as i find it a complete RIP OFF! New Vinyl now can be anywhere between 12-13 up to nigh on 40 for an actual double album (like the Beatles White Album). But id say the AVERAGE vinyl, that i would be interested in, cost arounf 25 (nigh on 3 times the price of average CD). Now, granted, many of todays releases are done over 2 vinyl, rather than just 1, but even then, I think it is a rip off.
And speaking of Double vinyl albums, i really dont like this idea of putting what originally was a single album, onto two vinyl, with maybe 2 to 2 songs on each side. I like old school ways...so would rather pick up an original vinyl, rather than a modern day equivalent. Im sure it is done mostly to ramp up profits, altho some will say its done for sound quality. Im not convinced.
Anyway, ive gone back to collecting albums on CD. Im just as happy with them as I am vinyl. Loads of bargains to be had on used CD :)

Anyone got any views to share?

laoghaire

Re: Vinyl records.... (A Rant)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
What brought you back to vinyl in the first place?

guest87

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
How does vinyl sound compared to modern or remastered CDs?  Is there more clarity and separation, or does it sound 'softer' than digital.  I've quite a lot of old vinyl albums I bought prior to 1993 which I'd love to play but would have to get a turntable first.

guest28

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:17 AM »
What brought you back to vinyl in the first place?
I grew up with Vinyl. I prefered it over cassettes. Just find them much nicer to own and handle. For admiring the artwork etc. I was a vinyl man, up till about 1991, then started my own CD revolution. Then stuck with CD till around 2007-08, when i got the urge to buy/play/listen to vinyl once more. It was rich pickings until about 2012, when vinyl interest started to soar. Now, even some second hand vinyl im interested in, is going for silly money, where as, a few short years ago, it could be bought for a fair price.

guest28

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
How does vinyl sound compared to modern or remastered CDs?  Is there more clarity and separation, or does it sound 'softer' than digital.  I've quite a lot of old vinyl albums I bought prior to 1993 which I'd love to play but would have to get a turntable first.
I suppose the answer to that is in the ear of the individual listener. Of the modern day releases, I can say that from what i have heard, The Vinyl version of SoE is superior to the CD. To me, the CD is pretty reverby (not that reverby is even a word).
I have yet to get round to listening to the recent u2 vinyl releases, to compare to CD. Got about 4-5 u2 vinyl lying around, unplayed as yet

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
So is it a physical thing for you? To pick up the album, pull the record out, the sleve cardboard smells a certain way, the artwork is large and vivid and has heft, you lay the needle down gently on the lip of the record?

I don't think you mentioned any differences in the sound, was the sound any part of it for you?

(Posting after your latest reply but what the hell)

guest87

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
I suppose the answer to that is in the ear of the individual listener. Of the modern day releases, I can say that from what i have heard, The Vinyl version of SoE is superior to the CD. To me, the CD is pretty reverby (not that reverby is even a word).
I have yet to get round to listening to the recent u2 vinyl releases, to compare to CD. Got about 4-5 u2 vinyl lying around, unplayed as yet

Have you got the A-Bomb on vinyl?  I've heard it said that it sounds so much better on vinyl because of the loudness of the CD.

guest28

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
So is it a physical thing for you? To pick up the album, pull the record out, the sleve cardboard smells a certain way, the artwork is large and vivid and has heft, you lay the needle down gently on the lip of the record?

I don't think you mentioned any differences in the sound, was the sound any part of it for you?

(Posting after your latest reply but what the hell)
Yeah, i enjoy the ceremony involved in owning physical copies of albums. As for sound, i do find the odd crackle and pop very satisfying when playing an album. Something just seems right about it.

guest28

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »

Have you got the A-Bomb on vinyl?  I've heard it said that it sounds so much better on vinyl because of the loudness of the CD.
Yes, I have A-bomb on vinyl and yeah, in parts, i can hear the difference. For example..on CD, the end of Crumbs is messy, its like having tinitus. Vinyl doesnt have that issue

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
I grew up on vinyl, too...and it was always a challenge...no matter how careful you are...they scratch too easily. But, I do so miss my collection!
Pricing has kept me from re-collecting...I'll stick with cd's from now on. sigh
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
I only buy the rare album on vinyl.  If its somehting that i could see myself framing one day, i might buy it.  Other than U2 i only have new vinyls from Oasis (including Liam and Noel solo), Amy Winehouse, Leonard Cohen and the Beastie Boys.  Otherwise i hit up used vinyl all the time because it's cheap.

riffraff

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
I actually still have some old stuff (not U2) on vinyl, even though my turntable kicked the bucket a few years ago.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

guest28

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
I grew up on vinyl, too...and it was always a challenge...no matter how careful you are...they scratch too easily. But, I do so miss my collection!
Nothing wrong with CDs riffy. I like them too...as well as vinyl. I just like owning the physical recording. As for records, yeah, back in the day, i wasnt the most careful person with my vinyl, but now, im so gentle with them. Its more down to the cost of replacing them now

riffraff

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with CDs riffy. I like them too...as well as vinyl. I just like owning the physical recording. As for records, yeah, back in the day, i wasnt the most careful person with my vinyl, but now, im so gentle with them. Its more down to the cost of replacing them now
Oh, I know...cd's are fine...and pretty much indestructable. Back in the day...I can't tell you how many albums ended up with wax on them from listening to music by candles only. Oh, those were the days...black lights and candles.

guest28

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »
Oh, I know...cd's are fine...and pretty much indestructable. Back in the day...I can't tell you how many albums ended up with wax on them from listening to music by candles only. Oh, those were the days...black lights and candles.
Happy memoreis are hard to beat. I get a lot of pleasure from remembering the past