Woodstock 50

• 10 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Woodstock 50
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:59:59 AM »
Many of you are probably aware of the planned 50th Anniversary Woodstock Festival to be held at the "original" spot.  So, Variety put out it's wish list of performers, guess who is missing from the list.  Wonder if they will take that as a hit against their "relevancy".   I don't live too far from the site, my older brother was actually at the original Woodstock, but even if they were to perform there (which I hope they don't) I probably wouldn't go anyway.  Beside, I went to Live Aid 85 in Philly so as Joan Baez said, that was our Woodstock.

https://variety.com/2019/music/opinion/fantasy-woodstock-50-who-should-play-1203108174/

guest87

Re: Woodstock 50
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:01:53 AM »
The organizers probably saw U2's Glastonbury performance and decided to invite Beyoncé and Coldplay instead.

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:06:36 AM »
I wish Jimi & Janis could be there again...

Acrobat...that is a BEAUTIFUL area...you're lucky to live there.
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »

The rural parts of the Northeast are wonderful, but don't short change the southwest.  I've been there several times to AZ, Sedona, Flagstaff and of course TGC area and it's got it's own kind of beauty.

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »

The rural parts of the Northeast are wonderful, but don't short change the southwest.  I've been there several times to AZ, Sedona, Flagstaff and of course TGC area and it's got it's own kind of beauty.
Absolutely! The beauty in the southwest is unbelievable. It seems like every time you go around a corner, the landscape has completely changed...just amazing.
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:57:11 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »
The organizers probably saw U2's Glastonbury performance and decided to invite Beyoncé and Coldplay instead.

Yup...These days outside their own controlled and hugely augmented environment u2 can't really perform.

Even at glastonbury they literally spent all day with their crew putting all the stuff that is needed together for their shows to work -  they were still at it when Morrissey (act before them) was playing his set.

They simply can't plug and play to any great effect anymore - best for their rep they are not exposed again.

Yes they put on a decent show with their bells and whistles and rigidly planned shows but it isn't the kind of set up that really is compatible with a festival environment.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:36:35 PM by an tha »

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
After the mess that was the last attempt at a Woodstock show (fires and rapes), i'm surprised they want to do this again.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »

Yup...These days outside their own controlled and hugely augmented environment u2 can't really perform.

Even at glastonbury they literally spent all day with their crew putting all the stuff that is needed together for their shows to work -  they were still at it when Morrissey (act before them) was playing his set.

They simply can't plug and play to any great effect anymore - best for their rep they are not exposed again.

Yes they put on a decent show with their bells and whistles and rigidly planned shows but it isn't the kind of set up that really is compatible with a festival environment.
Yeah, they are struggling to pull it off even within their own environment anymore. They used to be the kind of band who could plug n play anywhere - their Live-aid, self-aid and several other performances were great examples. However, these days, Bono's health is more important than their music, and he can't do it anymore.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

JTNash

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
Their reviews from Bonnaroo were good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »