Unknown Caller: A Musical Journey (ducks)

• 50 Replies

laoghaire

Unknown Caller: A Musical Journey (ducks)
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
UC is not a perfect song, but I think I "get" it. The stuff that is objectionable, maybe should not have been done, but I think it was meaningful as opposed to sloppy.

The long intro, for example. I freaking love it, actually, and this is what Eno is FOR, man. But it's an essential part of the story. The bliss. SUNSHINE.

Its length also frames it as a story in three parts, rather than just a song intro. And the melodic SLIDE into the depths of part two, the top of the bottom, is phenomenal. Edge said that understanding NLOTH requires listening to the MUSIC (and not just parsing the lyrics) and UC has to be the apex of that.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
Re: Unknown Caller: A Musical Journey (ducks)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »
I think it's a very decent song. I've been there...at the top of the bottom, and luckily climbed higher before falling all the way to the bottom of the bottom. It's not a pretty place. I read this song as saying...if we stumble along the way and find ourselves in a bad place, we can reboot ourselves, and get back on-line in our lives. But, that's just my "take" on it. Very inspiring.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

guest87

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
I don't feel any real desire to listen to it but whenever I do I kind of enjoy it.  I still don't know what it's about but I'm not averse to joining in the inane chanting.

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 05:29:09 PM »
I like that song
She moves in mysterious ways

guest346

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:02:33 PM »
One of the standout songs (in a good way, that is) on No Line.  Always liked the chiming and the birds chirping - it takes me to exotic places which the good songs on No Line do.  Just imagine the details in the courtyard tile and the rooftop balconies where you can see an eternity of blue skies while  sipping on something special with someone you love or at least want to.  The sun may rise or set when the birds are having the conversation about you in front of your back,  and you don't care because they fit in with the moment of time like the breeze that gave your comfort or the prayers whispered in the scent of festivities.  It's all good...

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Great song!  I like to plug in the ear buds and listen to it in March, on my way to a warmer spring break destination.  For me, the song evokes a mood of warmth, youth, and promise, i.e. hope for a brighter future.  That's a lot for one song, but that's what it means to me.

laoghaire

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »
I don't know how much this song has been discussed here already, but at the risk of being redundant -

Bono says it's supposed to be the rest of the Moment of Surrender story. The character is the same guy from MOS, having hit his bottom - drugs, in his case.

According to Bono, the guy picks up his cell to make a call, in his desperation, but there's "no signal at all." And suddenly he starts getting ghese crazy text messages, he doesn't say from whom, but it's Bono so obviously it's God.

God - represented by the text-message-chanting - tells the man he has been redeemed, he is free to go.

In the third part of the song - after the vocals - there is a musical ascension with horns and Edge. The man is, I'm sure, given the strength to fight the addiction.

The first part, "sunshine," seems to be some kind of bliss. I think the man is close to God here, and free of his earthly pain. He tells us the story of how he got there in parts two and three.

The album has a ton of trinities as well as the more common dualities.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »
Bono sure writes about drugs a lot, for a guy who probably indulged once in awhile but not often.

JTNash

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
Bono sure writes about drugs a lot, for a guy who probably indulged once in awhile but not often.
Well he is a rock Star Iím sure just about everyone around him was using at one time or another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »
I never was one of the haters for this song, and the album could have been close to their best had they replaced boots, SUC and crazy tonight with soon, winter and stingray guitar.

I think I knew from the beginning that God was the unknown caller, but I didnít know the connection to MOS so thanks for that.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
I think he's done a fair amount, but I don't think these songs (Bad, RTSS, MOS/UC, etc.) are about him. We know Bad, and maybe all of them, are about Andy Rowen.

But I think he has a hard-core, life-long theme of grieving for the loss of human potential, in whatever form - drug addiction, extreme poverty, serious preventable illness, etc. - that may take.

And I bet it resonates with the audience very well. Even if the way we relate to the songs isn't about drugs, the story of drugs is a good proxy for us to relate to for the difficulties of abuse, of mental illness, or other just really really hard things. So they will probably keep circling back to it from time to time.

THRILLHO

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 01:28:01 AM »
 i havent flip flopped on a U2 song as hard as UC. i loved it at first. now i dont care for it. its the lyrics. the chanting chorus is lazy i get it but its def not the reason to not like the song.

Zoo adam

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
Like the song. Good guitars & overall sound.

However the long intro is boring & makes the song over 6 minutes.

The song is loud & upbeat enough to just jump into. Rather than spend nearly 90 seconds doodling.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:58 AM »
I fell in love with that song when we got a glimpse of it in the trailer for a documentary on Daniel Lanois. There was footage of the recording session in Fez and you could see the band with Eno and Lanois singing the chorus, all of them near the mic. Beautiful.

Now I just wish Lanois could release "NLOTH - the Fez sessions".
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

guest346

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
I never was one of the haters for this song, and the album could have been close to their best had they replaced boots, SUC and crazy tonight with soon, winter and stingray guitar.

I think I knew from the beginning that God was the unknown caller, but I didnít know the connection to MOS so thanks for that.

I've said before the album could have started with Soon,  replace the 3 clunkers with Mercy (original version) however i like your idea of adding Stingray guitar somewhere in the fold.  I like winter as well,  but think it might be redundant with white as snow also on the album. 

Also i didn't realize that UC was a second part to MOS,  that is interesting.  They played it live in Norman and it sounded great despite nobody really knowing or singing along.  Not sure how long they kept it on the 360 setlist but it sounded fantastic to me.