quote from the book 'U2 the definitive biography'

• 25 Replies

restofit

quote from the book 'U2 the definitive biography'
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:05:48 AM »
The last words of the book’s last chapter, “The Wrong Compromise,” are given to journalists Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis, who’ve written critically of the band before. They cement the theme of Jobling’s biography and parse what he must want his readers to remember as the definition of U2. Kot says,

“Young bands view U2 with a lot of skepticism. They may admire them for their money and fame, but U2 is no longer the model of how to succeed in a vile business without selling your soul.” DeRogatis adds, “They’ve become this giant megacorporation that needs to sustain itself. ... There are elements of the band that genuinely care for their fans, but I’m sorry, you play these enormous stadiums with a company like you’re working with, Live Nation, and people get screwed. ... [Musically] had the band ended at Pop, they still would have been perceived as going out on top, because they were at least challenging themselves up to the end. ... It is the end of the U2 story. But we’re probably doomed to ten more years of them because of Live Nation. If it didn’t matter, it wouldn’t be so heartbreaking. But to see bands like U2 become what they once hated and operated in opposition to, it really is heartbreaking.”

this could easily be a paragraph from one of an-tha's essays
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:54:30 AM by restofit »

This Dave

Re: quote from the book 'U2 the definitive biography'
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:48:52 AM »
The last words of the book’s last chapter, “The Wrong Compromise,” are given to journalists Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis, who’ve written critically of the band before. They cement the theme of Jobling’s biography and parse what he must want his readers to remember as the definition of U2. Kot says,

“Young bands view U2 with a lot of skepticism. They may admire them for their money and fame, but U2 is no longer the model of how to succeed in a vile business without selling your soul.” DeRogatis adds, “They’ve become this giant megacorporation that needs to sustain itself. ... There are elements of the band that genuinely care for their fans, but I’m sorry, you play these enormous stadiums with a company like you’re working with, Live Nation, and people get screwed. ... [Musically] had the band ended at Pop, they still would have been perceived as going out on top, because they were at least challenging themselves up to the end. ... It is the end of the U2 story. But we’re probably doomed to ten more years of them because of Live Nation. If it didn’t matter, it wouldn’t be so heartbreaking. But to see bands like U2 become what they once hated and operated in opposition to, it really is heartbreaking.”

So very true, It breaks my heart..

What are the options for playing large venues if you aren’t going to go that route? In other words, could U2 the corporation just do what LiveNation or Ticketmaster do on their own, or do arenas and stadiums have exclusive deals?

The artistic argument regarding Popmart is a different issue. What I’m asking is if it is even possible for them to tour without using those gatekeepers.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:19:41 AM »
It’s a catch 22 in terms of the live shows. It’s not in terms of the albums
--------
< - This man does not exist.

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
That's why they are "going away now".  Because they need to figure out if and how they can do this thing further.

If they can, then expect big blockbusting tours where they continue the trajectory toward the megachurch of U2 - getting the faithful (us, or at least many of us, in paying big bucks for a spiritual uplifting - OK, a visually and aurally spectacular spiritual uplifting)
If they can't (or feel they can't)…..then they could call it a day.  But somehow, this is not good enough for U2.  Calling it a day is well...quitting.  And these four men don't appear to be in the quitting game, if they still believe that being in U2 is like being in the priesthood. The only way out is in a coffin,.
So, where would that leave them?  They seem to be on a sabbatical.  Although there have been rumours of a short tour later this year.
But if they are on sabbatical and they can't seem to break out of the mould of megachurch U2....then?
Shorter tours may be good for their souls and their health...and for fans in different parts of the world.  The idea of taking on the world in one hit should be behind them.  Shorter tours can mean that they can drill down and focus their message on certain groups of people.  They tried that with the US last year and the anti-Trump rhetoric didn't wash.  So they won't go to certain parts of the US for some time. 
Yes they've done this kind of picking certain places and playing there thing before, but if they made their message and their mode more simple (I think they could still pull this off on a big stage in a big venue with all the creative vision Willie Williams and Es Devlin have), they could kind of wind down into being the mega rock band with the big message and big heart....but with 'smaller' voices (whispers) in the time and place where they could find themselves shifting into a twilight world of finding their soul in later years and learning to wrestle with what it is to be in that place.

Bono has said somewhere that the ego is less malleable than it once was when you get older.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:34:22 PM by 73October »
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
I view it as similar to travelling abroad.  Would it be perhaps a more enriching experience to travel on the fly:  driving yourself around, not making firm accommodations, going where the spirit leads you?  Yes.  Would it also be a very stressful and potentially disastrous situation?  Yes.  Live Nation is U2's travel agency/tour guide.  They've become large enough and cumbersome enough that they need them.  They take care of the boring details and make other enjoyable things possible.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Shorter tours can mean that they can drill down and focus their message on certain groups of people. 

this is the problem.  why do they need a 'message'?  just put on a great show.  unfortunately they have conditioned themselves and their fans to have to expect something more than a simple yet great rock show.  it's become ridiculous at this point and a big reason why a lot of poeple like myself stayed away from E+I. 

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
I view it as similar to travelling abroad.  Would it be perhaps a more enriching experience to travel on the fly:  driving yourself around, not making firm accommodations, going where the spirit leads you?  Yes.  Would it also be a very stressful and potentially disastrous situation?  Yes.  Live Nation is U2's travel agency/tour guide.  They've become large enough and cumbersome enough that they need them.  They take care of the boring details and make other enjoyable things possible.

yes and it's not LiveNation that is the problem.  the band make their own choices.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
But I see it as a pragmatic choice.
   As far as "the message", it's part of the U2 megalomania.  It's a big part of who they are and we love them for it.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
But I see it as a pragmatic choice.
   As far as "the message", it's part of the U2 megalomania.  It's a big part of who they are and we love them for it.

not all of us love them for it.  as I have grown older I dont feel the need to digest every crumb of nonsense they hand out, like when I was much younger...

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »
U2 are with LN for the guaranteed money...and the reason prices are so high is because LN have to make a nice profit on top of that guaranteed money they gave U2.

U2 and LN do very nicely indeed out of the arrangement - the fans much less so as evidenced by the aforementiomed high prices, the lack of shows outside the obvious, most profitable and easy to play markets and locations in those markets and the mediocre merchandise at sky high prices.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
U2 just aren’t important anymore, and haven’t been for a long time.

When they were young they were hungry and wore their hearts on their sleeves. They famously wouldn’t increase ticket prices by $10 for Zoo TV to ensure a profit. Those days are long gone. LiveNation is a huge Corp and when U2 signed with them they knew that LiveNation does everything to maximize profits. Looking out for fans isn’t on their radar.

They’ve also awkwardly tried to shoe horn in their causes into shows in the last 15 years.

Before it would be a comment or 2 from Bono during a show. Now we see the lame masks during Walk On, Bono going on for 10 minutes while Larry times him, changing a song like Ultra Violet to shoe horn Feminism into the show. A lot of it feels forced and unnatural.

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »
I think the 'message' started with the Vertigo tour.  I like receiving it, because it is spiritual and challenging.  I'd rather hear a Bono Party Political Broadcast than one from one of the more established political parties these days.
Sisters, Brothers

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
Bono's message is pretty simple -- get up off your asses and do something for others less fortunate.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »
I think the 'message' started with the Vertigo tour.  I like receiving it, because it is spiritual and challenging.  I'd rather hear a Bono Party Political Broadcast than one from one of the more established political parties these days.

I go to church for free to get the message. Anything over 1 minute from Bono is to long. I don’t pay $200+ per ticket for a lengthy Bono speech.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »

I go to church for free to get the message. Anything over 1 minute from Bono is to long. I don’t pay $200+ per ticket for a lengthy Bono speech.

You must go to a good church.  I'm happily paying £110+ for a ticket to hear Bono speak.  He has more conviction than some.  And the music is better.  The 'church' guitarist is pretty excellent.  It's better he wears a beanie than an big jumper.
Sisters, Brothers