62 Albums in 50 Years

• 11 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
62 Albums in 50 Years
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:51 AM »
So if Donny Osmond can crank out 62 albums in 50 years, is it too much to ask U2 to be a bit more productive, as long as it's quality work?  ::) ;)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8492320/donny-osmond-62nd-album-2019

riffraff

• And you think that you can love
Re: 62 Albums in 50 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
lmao...remembering that a friend of mine LOVES Donny, went to one of his shows, had a front row table in the club...and Donny touched her on the nose. EEK!
Your night just ripped and it is torn to shreds

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »
Yeah, but one artist is U2 and the other is Donny Osmond.  Are you happier with 63 DO albums or 14 u2 albums?

guest87

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
By way of comparison, Prince released 36 studio albums of original material in 38 years (three are double albums, one is a triple album and one is a quadruple album!  Along with composing and producing a wide variety of side-projects.)

Quality is important, too.  In that regard I prefer Prince's work over U2's in the 1980s, Prince in the post-1997 period, but U2 in the nineties up to and incuding Pop.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:00:33 PM »
I just read that Ryan Adams is releasing 3 albums in 2019.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/ryan-adams-three-albums-2019/
First Chair. Last Call.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
I think Prince in the second half of his career released a lot of material that most other musicians would either shelf or fine tune.

guest87

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
I think Prince in the second half of his career released a lot of material that most other musicians would either shelf or fine tune.

I suppose you have to listen to it and inward digest it to make that judgement.  Certainly Prince didn't second guess things and endlessly tinker with things the way U2 do.  Prince wanted to 'get things done' and quickly move into the next thing and very much live in the moment.  That was one of the reasons why he was so much more prolific than U2.  It's often easier to just make a new song than waste time tinkering with an existing song.  My favourite late period Prince album is 3121 and my favourite late period U2 album is NLOTH and I reckon they're about evenly matched but only because NLOTH has Cedars on it.

MPare1966

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »

I suppose you have to listen to it and inward digest it to make that judgement.  Certainly Prince didn't second guess things and endlessly tinker with things the way U2 do.  Prince wanted to 'get things done' and quickly move into the next thing and very much live in the moment.  That was one of the reasons why he was so much more prolific than U2.  It's often easier to just make a new song than waste time tinkering with an existing song.  My favourite late period Prince album is 3121 and my favourite late period U2 album is NLOTH and I reckon they're about evenly matched but only because NLOTH has Cedars on it.

Easier for Prince to move along quickly to the next project than a 4 member band where everyone has equal say. So to compare both is a bit unfair.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest87

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »

Easier for Prince to move along quickly to the next project than a 4 member band where everyone has equal say. So to compare both is a bit unfair.

Do you still really believe all four band members have an equal say?  How long have you been a U2 fan?

MPare1966

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »

Do you still really believe all four band members have an equal say?  How long have you been a U2 fan?

I believe they all have some sort of veto at one point. But hey, maybe you know more than me. So please share.
First Chair. Last Call.

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »
Agreed
Hey, hey, sha la la

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »

Fair point
Hey, hey, sha la la