RUMOR: U2 to release EP titled “Europa” in 2019

• 20 Replies

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
RUMOR: U2 to release EP titled “Europa” in 2019
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
Multiple U2 fan sites are reporting a rumor that U2 will release an EP in 2019 entitled Europa.

Here’s one example of the rumor .....

https://www.u2songs.com/news/u2s_record_store_day_2019_release_plans

--------
< - This man does not exist.

Marvinho

Re: RUMOR: U2 to release EP titled “Europa” in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
This is great news but only if I can get one and don't have to line up at 4am in the cold to get one of only three copies that the shop has. I'd like to see them actually put out some vinyl singles/EPs during the rest of the year though. A Record Shop is for life not just for Record Store Day.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:50:55 AM by Marvinho »

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:15:03 AM »
We can keep our fingers crossed.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »
We can keep our fingers crossed.

and start speculating about the track list.

I want the « Berlin Suite » by the way.  :D
First Chair. Last Call.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 03:47:51 AM »
Please please please have a Zooropa vibe.

Edit: Ah crap, it's not new material, but i+e stuff. Still pretty good though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:50:19 AM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

Codeguy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
As far as I am aware, the entire thing is a rumor, including the idea that there is  no new material on it.

--------

MPare1966

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »
As far as I am aware, the entire thing is a rumor, including the idea that there is  no new material on it.

They took part in the last 4 RSD. So I call this a strong rumor. :D
First Chair. Last Call.

Codeguy

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Yeah I agree the rumor is strong. However, if it's a rehash of live material already performed on E&I then there's nothing to see here. If there's a couple of unreleased songs then this is big news.
--------

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
It would be cool if this is true, but i suspect it is some live tracks from the European leg of i.e. if anything.  New material would be great but with a name like Europa i'm afraid it would be tracks further in praise of the EU.
I don't think U2 is capable of a small EP release however.  It would turn up into being another Zooropa case where they end up making another full album after originally conceiving an EP.  And it would probably not come out until 2021.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
Maybe they will record a track for the Europeans that is as cringe-worthy horrendous as American Soul.  Call it Euro Sphincter or something.

That'll learn 'em.

guest28

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
If it is another 4 song EP, i wont be interested in picking up a copy. If it is a full on album, i wouldnt mind getting a copy. HOPEFULLY, it proves to be as unpopular as the recent RSD U2 releases, in that, they are readily available to be picked up

MPare1966

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
More details:

We are pleased to confirm that side A will open with the opening track from the concerts, a musical piece with elements of “Zooropa” and “Love Is All We Have Left” under a speech by Charlie Chaplin, from his movie, The Great Dictator. The 1940 film speech was used over U2’s music to open all of the European concerts on the Experience and Innocence tour which ran between August 31 and November 13, 2018.

The opening track will continue into a live performance of “New Year’s Day” taken from a concert in Dublin in November 2018. That song was the centerpiece in a stage show that often referred to Europe. For the song, the band would play as a giant Europe flag flew behind the stage.

“New Year’s Day” is a song that U2 has finished while playing it live. Before its release in 1983, during the Pre-War Tour, U2 would play a different arrangement of the song, and use the Lech Walesa inspired lyrics. Ever since its release as a single in early 1983, “New Year’s Day” has become one of those epic, anthemic live songs, that you just don’t touch. And aside from minor lyrical additions, the structure of the song has not changed over the years. During The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour however, U2 added back the missing bridge and 3rd verse. For the Experience and Innocence tour last year, they also changed the arrangement of the song, giving us one of the most fresh, powerful versions of “New Year’s Day” in recent years. The sound is treated to a new, (perhaps inherited from “Get Out of Your Own Way” that precedes it in the live set list), distorted shimmer sound, and a subtle backing track, which adds a higher pitch to the overall tone. This is more audible during the keyboard parts. It is almost reminiscent of Kraftwerk. The timing between the rhythm section and the keyboards has also changed. Adam and Larry enter each verse 1-2 bars after Edge’s keyboard riff in this new arrangement. The keyboards have a longer role in general, as they can be heard during the intro, bridge after the guitar solo, and the outro as well. That fact alone immediately brings the Francois Kevorkian US Remix to mind, originally issued on a single in 1983.

The B-Side of the EP will also feature live songs from the Experience and Innocence tour. The EP will be released for Record Store Day in 2019. The official announcement of this EP should take place in late February, 2019. The cover art for this release, and the quantities that are being pressed are not known at this time.

Source U2Songs
First Chair. Last Call.

Codeguy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
So, as expected, this contains nothing we don't already have on YT. Oh well.
--------

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
Oh cool. Because I have never heard a live version of New Year's Day....
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Oh cool. Because I have never heard a live version of New Year's Day....
lmao
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere