Pussy Riot Appreciation Thread

• 19 Replies

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
Pussy Riot Appreciation Thread
« on: December 22, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »

They tend to get overlooked as serious artists because of their attacks on Putin tend to get them arrested, but this is brilliant stuff.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: Pussy Riot Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »

They tend to get overlooked as serious artists because of their attacks on Putin tend to get them arrested, but this is brilliant stuff.

Hugely underrated....i like that song.

EvilBono

• Is it hot in here, or is it just me?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:16:59 PM »
Such uppity women. They dare to challenge my Vladimir.
——————————
Carry on as if I don’t exist

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
Sorry, but they are horrible.  They're performance artists who do things for shock value (they has sex in a museum during open hours while one was heavily pregnant because... art?).  They weren't even a proper band until they made headlines for storming a church in masks and being a nuisance and only then did producers come in to actually try to make musicians of them.  I've seen the documentaries on them and i've seen enough.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 06:46:32 PM »
Not a fan of their music, but I'm a fan of anyone who sticks it up Putin.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
They are like today's pop-punk fused with Zoo TV.  What's not to like?
And they are genuinely pleasant people.
Someone I work with is off to Russia on holiday tomorrow.  I warned him to watch his step and he's a little doubtful about what he thought would be a cultural and social jolly!
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »
Sorry, but they are horrible.  They're performance artists who do things for shock value (they has sex in a museum during open hours while one was heavily pregnant because... art?).  They weren't even a proper band until they made headlines for storming a church in masks and being a nuisance and only then did producers come in to actually try to make musicians of them.  I've seen the documentaries on them and i've seen enough.

That's feminism for you.  If you don't like it fine, but people have freedom of expression.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
If you live as a woman in Russia, you might see it differently. Some of it was certainly shock value, but the Russian Orthodox Church is very Misogynistic and Putin has empowered them to be sorta morality police. Recent supreme court rulings banning homosexuality and other religions in Russia, restricting access to birth control and abortion are all due to overt influence from a poisonous pedagogy. I, for one, love feminist bands who aren't afraid of their bodies. To quote hitchens: "The number one proven method to eliminate poverty is the empowerment of women"
--------
< - This man does not exist.

il_capo

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »
Here's an appreciation set to the classic 90s Bikini Kill track, "Rebel Girl":

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
They sound alright.  If they give hope to Russians, I think that's great.

guest259

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »
They sound alright.  If they give hope to Russians, I think that's great.

Most Russians despise them.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
I don't always get Russians.  They gave us Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, et. al. and yet they always seem to labor under horrific regimes.  It's unfortunate that they now have to suffer under Putin, Trump's good buddy.

guest259

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
I don't always get Russians.  They gave us Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, et. al. and yet they always seem to labor under horrific regimes.  It's unfortunate that they now have to suffer under Putin, Trump's good buddy.

You don't seem to get that the whole world does not subscribe to Western liberal democratic principles. Fortunately! How boring it would be to have everywhere the same. But in any case, Western principles are built on a fraud and a sham, as shown by the invasion of Iraq and numerous other examples.

Trump, I think - unusually for a US president - gets this. 

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
Are they truly feminists?  Weren't they all married with kids before the age of 18.  I don't even know what it means if someone calls themselves a feminist and i don't necessarily think they do either.  I'm all for equality among the sexes and equal opportunity and have actually unconsciously promoted more women in my department at work than i have men- but won't call myself a feminist.  I think the people that wear the vagina hats are a bit ridiculous.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
I'm not sure, given an actual choice, that your everyday Russian would choose a state press, a murderous ruling class, and a sham election process.  But what do I know, just another arrogant American.