Acrobat. How good was it?

• 30 Replies

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
Acrobat. How good was it?
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
I thought it was awesome. I'm delighted they played it before they couldn't do it justice.

guest94

Re: Acrobat. How good was it?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:31:41 AM »
From the clips I've seen online it sounded great. Much better than I would have thought, though I will admit to not being the biggest fan of Acrobat. It's certainly a fine song, but never one that I was clamoring to hear the way so many others were.

Neil Young

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:35 AM »
I thought it was really good in London, it was all that I had wanted it to be. And Wild Horses had the same heaviness to it. Loud, heavy, dark. My favourite version of U2. For some reason I heard myself yell f**k Coldplay over Acrobat and people around me found that amusing, though I have no idea what prompted me to do it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:29:44 AM by Neil Young »

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
A song that has been kept hidden from the live set for so long and when they play it, they do it with such style because they are at an age where they can pull off the live performance of such a dark and slower tempo song.
One of the better things U2 has done is 'save Acrobat' for nearly 30 years.  It makes it so much more special.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

guest346

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »
I thought it was really good in London, it was all that I had wanted it to be. And Wild Horses had the same heaviness to it. Loud, heavy, dark. My favourite version of U2. For some reason I heard myself yell f**k Coldplay over Acrobat and people around me found that amusing, though I have no idea what prompted me to do it.

LOL that's awesome.   8)

Yes it was great,  hardly perfect but that's what is neat about live songs,  you get to enjoy the parts that are better than the recorded version as well as the parts that are not.  Also loved Wild Horses as well. 

JTNash

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
I love it in Nashville
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »
Honestly, I mostly disagree with the comments here. I think they did a good job with the song on this tour, but I don't understand why they never played it when they could have truly amazed with it. It would have been absolutely amazing on the Zoo TV tour. I know they also didn't do Ultraviolet Light a lot and I wonder if playing songs about the Edges divorce would have hit Aislinn too hard? They've never really gotten into the details but it's the only reason I can think of for these amazing songs not to have seen the light of day live earlier.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 05:32:29 AM »
It was pretty darned good in Vegas.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »
i think it's a good song but unlike most people on here (it seems) it isn't one of my favorites.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:48:44 PM »
Not a song that does a lot for me, either.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
Acrobat is one of my favorite songs and the live version did not disappoint.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
Acrobat is one of my favorite songs and the live version did not disappoint.
Edge really got into his solo in Vegas...so good.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

guest94

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »

I agree with Wild Horses as well. They really nailed it this time around, which begs the question of why these tunes have been shelved for so many tours. I thought they did both justice, especially considering the limited range that Bono has these days.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Didn't get to hear it live, but good that they finally got around to performing it, and committed to it for the entire tour.
Sometimes

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 02:38:23 AM »
They did good with Acrobat, but... am I the only one regretting they didnít play the acoustic version that was rehearsed in 1992 ?
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...