Bono on HTDAAB: "it f-ing annoys me."

• 59 Replies

The Edges Cat

Bono on HTDAAB: "it f-ing annoys me."
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Bono said of HTDAAB: "[t]here are no weak songs. But as an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it f–ing annoys me."

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

THRILLHO

Re: Bono on HTDAAB: "it f-ing annoys me."
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
the weak songs are

ABOY
AMAAW
CFYT
LAPOE

the rest i can live with.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:41:55 PM »
I think I like Artificial Horizon more than Bomb...
First Chair. Last Call.

guest259

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:16:50 AM »
the weak songs are

ABOY

I can't believe they still play that lamer live. A candidate for the worst track that they ever put on an album, let alone released as a single.

guest346

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »
Having listened to it in the past couple of months I like it better than SOI, SOE, or No Line. There are no clunkers on this album - unlike the last 3. I used to think LAPOE was a clunker but that was before they really doubled down on the clunkers with the last 3 albums.   

Also enjoyed ABOY live in Tulsa - it sounded like an old classic or fan favorite amongst clunkers like G00y0w and S4S

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
An abysmal record.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
I can't believe this album is almost 15 years old. I like the last two albums, but Bomb was the last time that U2 felt like they were widely relevant at all. Of course, the media landscape in 2004 was vastly different than it is today.

I tend to agree with Bono on this one. I think even the weakest of tracks are at least pretty good; with Yahweh and One Step Closer maybe being weaker tracks. I think Crumbs from Your Table is a poorly named good track. But I don't even skip the weak ones on this album. I've never been particularly fond of Vertigo as an idea but I can admit that it can be infectious and I'll occasionally catch myself singing it. If it gets in your head, it's probably a well written tune.

Standouts for me on this album are:
Miracle Drug   <- fantastic song
SYCMIOYO <- fantastic song
LAPOE
All Because of You
City of Blinding Lights

There's a lot to like about this album and I think it gets a undeserved bad rap by U2 fans. It doesn't help that, though the overall album aesthetics are cool, the album cover photo is fucking atrocious.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:53:26 PM by Aviastar »
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

guest94

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
I kind of agree with him. There are no songs that I actively dislike or think are bad, yet the album doesn't quite gel and flow together as cohesively as many of their previous albums. It's one of my favorite U2 records, yet I feel that it doesn't sound as focused as it should. The album art is lazy and the mastering (as well as the production) is terrible.

I'm also ticked that Mercy wasn't included. How that was left off is still beyond me. Despite all my complaints I still dig this one a lot, so I guess the songs themselves managed to stand out against all the negatives. ;D

The Edges Cat

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
I disagree with Bono to a degree, I think every song sounds like it belongs on the album. Compare it to NLOTH, where some songs stick out like dog's balls.

The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

guest346

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
I kind of agree with him. There are no songs that I actively dislike or think are bad, yet the album doesn't quite gel and flow together as cohesively as many of their previous albums. It's one of my favorite U2 records, yet I feel that it doesn't sound as focused as it should. The album art is lazy and the mastering (as well as the production) is terrible.

I'm also ticked that Mercy wasn't included. How that was left off is still beyond me. Despite all my complaints I still dig this one a lot, so I guess the songs themselves managed to stand out against all the negatives. ;D

I don't know how they left Mercy off of BOMB either.  It would easily have been the 2nd best song on the album,  give or take.  However the bigger question would be,  why on earth didn't they place Mercy as song number 5 on No Line,  instead of the unholy trinity of clunkers that stunk & sunk that album. 

Just imagine something like this (time permitting):

Soon
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Mercy
Fez -- Being Born
White As Snow
Breathe
Cedars Of Lebanon
Winter

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
Take away Vertigo and the album could be a classic.

guest346

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

Do that and you are taking away a great live song and their last hit single  ???

Shank Asu

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »

Do that and you are taking away a great live song and their last hit single  ???
To quote Super Hans from Peep Show- 'You can't trust people.  PEople voted for Hitler and listen to Coldplay.'  The fact it was a hit means nothing to me.  It's U2's last gasp of trying to be loud and youthful and i hate it.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »

No way, José! Vertigo is a fantastic song. 

Shank Asu

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »
They sold their soul to Apple with Vertigo.