OPINION: Write as if you're dead

• 28 Replies

davis

Re: OPINION: Write as if you're dead
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
Being in your late 50's doesn't mean you have one foot in the grave.

I would say we always have one foot in the grave.  Or, as the Book of Common Prayer puts it, "In the midst of life we are in death." 

Bono has always been particularly conscious of mortality.  That awareness, and the pain of loss, have driven great art since time immemorial.  Which is one reason I still believe they have a transcendent late career album in them yet.

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
I read this piece and then I read an article in the Guardian Saturday magazine a bit later from a psychological point of view about all the anxieties there are and the feeling of 'death and bereavement' about world events (Brexit, Trump, the new world order etc) because whatever way we, in general, feel about those events, something has changed and the old has gone.  For some people, things feel apocalyptic now on a personal and a communal level.  The article focussed on 2 psychology professionals who reported in an upsurge of people coming and seeking psychological help to understand the shift in world logic.

I just wondered if a juxtaposition of what has happened over the past 2 years on a world level, and in the band's (particularly Bono's) own feelings that have brought about the album as it will be in 4 weeks' time.  Yeah, they used politics as an excuse, but some people have gotten really fucked up with Trump and Brexit and I don't wish to speculate on Bono's own personal mortality crisis; but the Guardian article implied, through interviews with professionals that some people both sides of the Atlantic are personally becoming very low and resigned over the matters that are in play.

There are some hints that this is not the end for the band - Little Things ("the end is not coming, it's here.  Sometimes") and the 'newspaper' thrown in with a deluxe version of the album 'This is not the time to not be alive' indicates that the band realise they have some fuel left in the tank and are seeing things (whatever they are) more positively. 

Personally, I hope that this whole cycle helps the band to break the mould and move on to writing, recording and playing through pure joy and enthusiasm rather than to satisfy some influential third party or other in the business.  To die to the old ways of doing things.  It is becoming clearer that U2 have influenced a whole host of bands and artists out there that are more 'relevant' commercially than U2 are now.  I discovered this trend when watching footage of Glastonbury 2011 from the TV and was quite astounded by the numbers of artists who were coming out and sharing the influence U2 had had on them - people I didn't even think would have the time for U2.  The sheer way in which U2 have been groundbreaking through generations of musicians (not always rock acts) is now becoming clear as more and more artists break through and give credence to U2 for the influences that they have spawned over the last 4 decades. 

Rather than U2 'retiring' at this point, they have nothing left to prove and can play for the enjoyment.  But if they have nothing left to prove, then why are they still chasing commercial success - is it the promoter that wants the success.  What do the band want to do if they feel they can't be bold and experimental?  They seem to be at a crossing point and the next clue as to the direction their path will take will be what happens at the end of their initial contract with Live Nation.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

guest87

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
The fear of making a mistake can be debilitating, but as FDR once said: there's nothing to fear except fear itself.

I reckon this applies to U2.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
Yeah, we all have one foot in the grave and all that, but why is it when you reach a certain age that everyone wants to know when you're going to retire?  Random people (not at work) seem to find this an endlessly fascinating question.  I don't think it's anyone's business really.  Why not go around asking every 20 something when they're going to become parents? 
    I'm probably just touchy on the subject, but some of it comes off as age-ist to me.

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
Yeah, we all have one foot in the grave and all that, but why is it when you reach a certain age that everyone wants to know when you're going to retire?  Random people (not at work) seem to find this an endlessly fascinating question.  I don't think it's anyone's business really.  Why not go around asking every 20 something when they're going to become parents? 
    I'm probably just touchy on the subject, but some of it comes off as age-ist to me.

I'm not sure I'll ever retire.....can't imagine not working...
--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

guest4

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 06:00:15 AM »

I "retired" when the place I worked for went out of business and I couldn't find another job anywhere (applied to almost 300 jobs!). THEN, after "retiring", I became a dog-sitter.
Doesn't pay squat (I'm cheap, but I'm good!), and I have no real "bennies" but it's still the best job I've ever had. I'm poor, but I'm pretty happy, and the dogs give me lots of love!

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
OPINION: Write as if you're dead
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »

Unfortunately, many never have the choice.  Retirement is foisted upon them either through layoffs, downsizing, illness, or other issues.  I have volunteered as a financial counselor through a couple charity orgs and see this a lot.  It's one of the reasons why retirement planning is so important....you never know when you might be pushed out of the workforce, and getting a job at age 50+ - especially in the US - can be very difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:22:44 AM by Aviastar »
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

guest4

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »

Unfortunately, many never have the choice.  Retirement is foisted upon them either through layoffs, downsizing, illness, or other issues.  I have volunteered as a financial counselor through a couple charity orgs and see this a lot.  It's one of the reasons why retirement planning is so important....you never know when you might be pushed out of the workforce, and getting a job at age 50+ - especially in the US - can be very difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So true...I actually went back to several of the places where I had interviewed to see who got the jobs...without exception, it was a young person. Which is fine...who the heck wants to work for a living anyway?  :P

The Edges Cat

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »
@U2 retired. Matt's in the Maldives sipping cocktails.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

guest4

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »
:)

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
Nah, he's doing investigative journalism on more offshore tax havens (undercover for U2 so he can tell them were to disinvest their money).
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

guest4

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 06:23:35 AM »
Nah, he's doing investigative journalism on more offshore tax havens (undercover for U2 so he can tell them were to disinvest their money).
That made me snarf my coffee...

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »
Good points!
Hey, hey, sha la la

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
I enjoyed reading that. great piece.