< - This man does not exist.

guest4

Re: U2 Visitors center blocked by Dublin Co Council
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
ah, man...

guest259

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
Brutalist architecture? Have they seen some of the other buildings in Dublin. Seems a bit of a small minded decision. I just wonder if the people who objected are the typical type of begrudgers who rant (incorrectly) about Bono not paying taxes etc.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »
Brutalist architecture? Have they seen some of the other buildings in Dublin. Seems a bit of a small minded decision. I just wonder if the people who objected are the typical type of begrudgers who rant (incorrectly) about Bono not paying taxes etc.
Yeah quite possibly.
--------

guest87

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Brutalist architecture?

What's wrong with Brutalism?  Have they not seen Preston Bus Station?

guest259

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Brutalist architecture?

Just googled it and yes it's rather...brutalist.

Ironically, Dublin's City Council building has long been regarded as an eyesore.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=DU&regno=50080528

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
It is good to see the impact of something like this on the area (things like the right to light etc) it might sit in being properly looked at thoroughly.

Surely doing that will mean the end result is one that is best for all interested parties.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »
The structure doesn't look very appealing as proposed.

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 12:41:30 AM »
Brutalist architecture?

My boyfriend lives in Preston. I thought, no way, this must be a different Preston TD is talking about. To my amusement, I googled it and discovered that not only is said bus station in THAT Preston, but I've been on a bus out of there before.  ;D

guest87

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
Brutalist architecture?

My boyfriend lives in Preston. I thought, no way, this must be a different Preston TD is talking about. To my amusement, I googled it and discovered that not only is said bus station in THAT Preston, but I've been on a bus out of there before.  ;D

National Express coach to London?  You cheapskates!

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:56:41 AM »
Brutalist architecture?

National Express coach to London?  You cheapskates!

;D Was it that obvious? It was, by far, the worst ride I've ever taken.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »
I don't understand the proposed building's purpose.  A 'U2 visitor center'?  What the hell does that mean?  are they seriously thinking there should be an entire building dedicated to U2?

maybe I am misunderstanding but this sounds like the most outlandishly over the top act of pomposity and self-congratulation I have ever heard of from a band or any other artist for that matter.  Even considering this is U2 who are known for such things, it seems insane.

Am I alone?

guest259

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
I don't understand the proposed building's purpose.  A 'U2 visitor center'?  What the hell does that mean?  are they seriously thinking there should be an entire building dedicated to U2?

maybe I am misunderstanding but this sounds like the most outlandishly over the top act of pomposity and self-congratulation I have ever heard of from a band or any other artist for that matter.  Even considering this is U2 who are known for such things, it seems insane.

Am I alone?

I don't have a problem with the idea, per se. There's a Beatles museum in Liverpool. Munich has a BMW museum! (I've visited it).

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »

Am I alone?

I don't have a problem with the idea, per se. There's a Beatles museum in Liverpool. Munich has a BMW museum! (I've visited it).
The BMW Museum is great. Did you notice, FG, that they seem to have ceased to exist as an airplane manufacturer in 1933, and re-emerged in 1945 as an automotive company. Nothing happened in the intervening 12 years.  8)
--------

guest259

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »

Am I alone?

The BMW Museum is great. Did you notice, FG, that they seem to have ceased to exist as an airplane manufacturer in 1933, and re-emerged in 1945 as an automotive company. Nothing happened in the intervening 12 years.  8)

Hmm. How strange! I guess they took a long sabbatical during those years.