Most Disappointing Follow Up Albums

• 30 Replies

guest87

« on: October 26, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
So an artist made a record you really liked but then they go and follow it up with a shocking release.

What are your biggest disappointments?

My biggest would have to be Neither Fish Nor Flesh by Terry Derby.

seatakestheship

Re: Most Disappointing Follow Up Albums
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »
Dandy Warhols - Odditorium. I loved their first three major label albums, with Welcome to the Monkey House being the best in 2003. But Odditorium was so bad I haven't listened to anything new since.

Counting Crows - This Desert Life. Everything after Recovering the Satellites....yeesh. Big Yellow Taxi? Accidentally In Love? Really?

guest94

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »

Counting Crows - This Desert Life. Everything after Recovering the Satellites....yeesh. Big Yellow Taxi? Accidentally In Love? Really?

I adore This Desert Life. It was the album that got me into the Crows and I think they've remained consistently good over the years. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one! ;)

Two that immediately spring to mind are Mosquito by Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Hymns by Bloc Party. Both groups were really on a roll and then decided to record boring, soporific albums that have very little staying power. I don't know what happened but I'm hoping they both return with something much stronger.

seatakestheship

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »

I adore This Desert Life. It was the album that got me into the Crows and I think they've remained consistently good over the years. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one! ;)

Two that immediately spring to mind are Mosquito by Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Hymns by Bloc Party. Both groups were really on a roll and then decided to record boring, soporific albums that have very little staying power. I don't know what happened but I'm hoping they both return with something much stronger.

I do like Color Blind a lot, but I feel the rest of the album is a major drop off from the first two.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
The first 2 that come to mind are The Waterboys' Dream Harder and Radiohead's Kid A. I don't think either band's ever gonna come all the way back from those two disasters, although at least The Waterboys are still a killer live act. Well, maybe Radiohead is,
 too - I wouldn't know, because I haven't seen them post-OK Computer, and unless someone takes me to a show for free, I'm never going to.

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
The first 2 that come to mind are The Waterboys' Dream Harder and Radiohead's Kid A. I don't think either band's ever gonna come all the way back from those two disasters, although at least The Waterboys are still a killer live act. Well, maybe Radiohead is,
 too - I wouldn't know, because I haven't seen them post-OK Computer, and unless someone takes me to a show for free, I'm never going to.

I agree with Dream Harder. I give Mike Scott credit for consistently releasing new material, but I honestly haven't been blown away by an entire album by the Waterboys since before then. I know he is really bent about fans who want to hear a mix of older material at shows (beyond Whole of the Moon) because he is "an artist, not a nostalgia act" (his words, not mine).  I can't speak for every fan, but much like U2, the Waterboys and I haven't grown together in the way I had hoped. I prefer a particular sound and time period from each...that, however, doesn't mean anyone should deem me "not a real fan". I just like what I like!
Hey, hey, sha la la

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »

I agree with Dream Harder. I give Mike Scott credit for consistently releasing new material, but I honestly haven't been blown away by an entire album by the Waterboys since before then. I know he is really bent about fans who want to hear a mix of older material at shows (beyond Whole of the Moon) because he is "an artist, not a nostalgia act" (his words, not mine).  I can't speak for every fan, but much like U2, the Waterboys and I haven't grown together in the way I had hoped. I prefer a particular sound and time period from each...that, however, doesn't mean anyone should deem me "not a real fan". I just like what I like!

I haven't seen The Waterboys since that 2001 show at St. Andrews', but I really liked the songs from Rock In The Weary Land live - even the ones I didn't like on record, like "King Electric." But yeah, the studio albums are so inconsistent now. I've watched their Glastonbury show from last year (I think) on Youtube a few times, and all the post-2000 songs they did just burned live. Of course, that probably has at least a little to do with his band being top-notch at every position. I've gone back and checked out the studio versions of those same songs, and wasn't knocked out by any of them.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I loved Recovering the Satellites and think This Desert Life was a disappointing follow up to that.  Not a bad album per se, but just not as good.  Counting Crows faded pretty quickly after IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
So much to put here.  Maybe I'll just say Pop for now and leave it at that.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
So much to put here.  Maybe I'll just say Pop for now and leave it at that.

Brace for impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
Depeche Mode: Sounds Of The Universe
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
U2 released Pop and then........... ;)

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

All That You Canīt Leave Behind. In my opinion, super album.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

All That You Canīt Leave Behind. In my opinion, super album.

Is super an acronym for something....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:21:12 PM by an tha »

Pride

• North Dakota is best Dakota
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
So
Unbearably
Poor
Elevation
Record

Maybe?