Discuss: Running to stand still

• 28 Replies

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
Discuss: Running to stand still
« on: July 04, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
RTSS is, for me, one of Bonoís finest lyrical masterpieces. I especially love the ZooTV reinvention of the song.

For me, verse 1 is clear. Itís a call to escape. Verse 2 is clear. Itís a realization that there is no escape. Unless you can cry without weeping, talk without speaking and scream without raising your voice.

But Iíve always had trouble with the third verse.

White gold is cocaine, and the needle chill is a heroin overdose. But the rest gets me. Why does she bring me in through a doorway? What are ďpearls stolen from the sea? ď

Thoughts?

--------
< - This man does not exist.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
Re: Discuss: Running to stand still
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:51:12 AM »
Just to fuck with our minds

I don't know. I thought I knew, but now I'm thinking of it again I realise I don't know
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:54:16 AM by JFW »
See through in the sunlight

guest4

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
Bono said that she's bringing the drugs through the doorway to the dude...so,white pearls are the drug...white makes sense, but pearls? I dunno.
Beautiful song about the sad escape through drugs. It works, temporarily, but it doesn't change whatever you're trying to escape from.

guest259

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »
A work colleague of te guy the song was written about recently commented on another forum. Apparently he is Guggi's younger brother.

Edit: oops, actually I was thinking of Bad.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/andy-rowen-the-inspiration-behind-bad-211868.html

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
I just assumed the Irish Sea had a shit-ton of pearls in it, but some of them were stolen by this chick who was walking through a door while listening to Rage Against the Machine.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

THRILLHO

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:36:46 AM »
Bono said that she's bringing the drugs through the doorway to the dude...so,white pearls are the drug...white makes sense, but pearls? I dunno.
Beautiful song about the sad escape through drugs. It works, temporarily, but it doesn't change whatever you're trying to escape from.

maybe Pearls like the drugs are this priceless beauty? or maybe the crack rocks look like pearls?

guest259

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Crack really wouldn't have been on the scene at the time the song was written, not in Dublin anyway.

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
Crack really wouldn't have been on the scene at the time the song was written, not in Dublin anyway.

Yeah, the CIA didn't introduce it to the black community til much later....
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

guest259

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »

Yeah, the CIA didn't introduce it to the black community til much later....

I think that might be one for our conspiracy theory thread.

guest87

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
I just assumed the Irish Sea had a shit-ton of pearls in it, but some of them were stolen by this chick who was walking through a door while listening to Rage Against the Machine.

You see, the great thing about U2 is there are many different interpretations to their songs.  But sometimes a pearl is just a pearl and a dog turd is just a dog turd.

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Bono said the pearls are a particular drug and if I were slightly less lazy I'd look up which kind. Suffice it to say: white gold and pearls are drugs.

Why stolen from the sea? Oh, probably just a nice poetic turn of phrase, but there's plenty we can do with that. Drugs are from nature, but perverted.

In the Screwtape Letters, Screwtape explains that experiencing God's world is something God approves of and it brings us closer to God. Like, breathing the air on a fall day, eating a home cooked meal, making love. These are pleasures, and they are not stolen.

The Devil's pleasures are different, perverted. Going out of your mind on drugs. Sex based on something other than mutual connection.

First verse: She knows she's gotta escape the bonds of addiction.
Second verse: She can't see a way to escape.
Third verse: Shit, we got high. We're fucked.

That Hallelujah in the Zoo TV version is glorious, insane. It's that double meaning again: Hallelujah, the drugs feel so good, it brings us closer to God. Except it's the opposite, and you know it when they wear off.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I do like the album version but i love the zoo arrangement

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
I do like the album version but i love the zoo arrangement
Totally agree with this...so well portrayed on the dvd. I wish I could have seen that version live.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

laoghaire

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
That Hallelujah manages to be both incredibly joyous and in incredible pain at the same time. Guys, this is what art is.

Another example? The scream at the start of Streets, Elevation version.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »
The Hallelujah could be 'broken' and/or 'holy' like in the Leonard Cohen song.
See through in the sunlight