These new songs then....

• 102 Replies

guest94

Re: These new songs then....
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »
I don't wish to sound negative so early on but did anyone else get that sinking feeling when they heard the new songs?

I've been underwhelmed for the most part. None of the songs are bad, per se, but nothing has jumped out or made me want to listen on repeat. This is probably the first time the band's released something where I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for it. I get the feeling it'll be a good, if somewhat tame, album. I'm hoping they prove me wrong.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »
I don't wish to sound negative so early on but did anyone else get that sinking feeling when they heard the new songs?

I've been underwhelmed for the most part. None of the songs are bad, per se, but nothing has jumped out or made me want to listen on repeat. This is probably the first time the band's released something where I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for it. I get the feeling it'll be a good, if somewhat tame, album. I'm hoping they prove me wrong.
Hmmm .... certainly see that for YTBTAB but Blackout? Also no joy for hearing the studio version of TLTTGYA?

-------

Too tall to be a despot

guest94

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »

Hmmm .... certainly see that for YTBTAB but Blackout? Also no joy for hearing the studio version of TLTTGYA?

The Blackout is okay but I'm having a hard time really getting into it. The song seems to be building up to something but never quite takes off like it should. TLTTGYA and YTBTAB are both solid for what they are but I'm still on the fence about those.

I suppose I'm still waiting on that moment when my hairs stand on end and that U2 rush sweeps over me. I haven't had it yet but that could change over time.

And Bono, PLEASE stop with the long song titles. I really don't want to have to add even more acronyms to my U2 dictionary. ;D

The Ultra Beasts

• The abominations formerly known as WhenIsSOE
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »

The Blackout is okay but I'm having a hard time really getting into it. The song seems to be building up to something but never quite takes off like it should. TLTTGYA and YTBTAB are both solid for what they are but I'm still on the fence about those.

I suppose I'm still waiting on that moment when my hairs stand on end and that U2 rush sweeps over me. I haven't had it yet but that could change over time.

And Bono, PLEASE stop with the long song titles. I really don't want to have to add even more acronyms to my U2 dictionary. ;D
Yeah, maybe they should change a few titles.
Sign me petition to get some great missing albums on Spotify!
https://www.change.org/p/daniel-ek-bring-some-great-albums-to-spotify

guest28

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »

I hear ya. Not exactly up to the standard to which im used to.

davis

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
I actually think Best Thing is the best lead single since Vertigo.  I mean it is what it is, but what it is is pretty catchy. 

I was pretty moved by Little Things live in Foxboro. We'll see how it sounds on the album.

Blackout doesn't do it for me.  I can't get over the name-rhymey-thing and the chorus is too glossy/trite for me. 

I've been wondering about what's keeping Bono from writing like he is (or was) capable of for a while now...

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
I also think Best Thing is a very good pilot single. A catchy rhythm song and great video. The boys obviously enjoy it.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

guest20

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
I actually think Best Thing is the best lead single since Vertigo.  I mean it is what it is, but what it is is pretty catchy. 

I was pretty moved by Little Things live in Foxboro. We'll see how it sounds on the album.

Blackout doesn't do it for me.  I can't get over the name-rhymey-thing and the chorus is too glossy/trite for me. 

I've been wondering about what's keeping Bono from writing like he is (or was) capable of for a while now...

It's disappointing because you know that a rawer, more bombastic version of The Blackout exists out there, just in an earlier incarnation.

The Blackout of now has been polished to hell and sounds completely brickwalled, lacking any dimensionality... and that's only from a production standpoint. Lyrically, this song is dreadful. It seriously just smacks you in the head with:

"THIS IS A POLITICAL SONG. WE ARE BEING PUNK.".

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
Lyrically, this song is dreadful. It seriously just smacks you in the head with:

That's pure folly, Wally.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

guest94

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
I will admit that Best Thing has started worming its way into my playlists lately, so I'll give it credit: it's a fun pop song with a great hook. I just can't help thinking that it would have been more powerful as a full-blown rocker but I'd be lying if I said I'm not getting some serious enjoyment out of it. The Blackout still isn't clicking and Little Things is good, although I'll wait for the studio version before judging it fully. 2 out of 3 isn't bad but I'm hoping the rest of the album is more adventurous.

davis

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
To WW10's point,
The Blackout of now has been polished to hell and sounds completely brickwalled, lacking any dimensionality... and that's only from a production standpoint. Lyrically, this song is dreadful. It seriously just smacks you in the head with:

This first listen review nails it, for me:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/08/30/547317173/u2-unveils-new-single-the-blackout-from-its-upcoming-album-songs-of-experience

Two key quotes (which I totally agree with):
As with [Bullet the Blue Sky], "The Blackout" is explicitly political. Out of deference to "Bullet The Blue Sky," it should be said that that's about where the similarities end.
Bono, whose brand of pop stardom crystallizes most of the things detractors of the band love to hate, here hits a relative low-point, lyrically. "Statues fall / Democracy is flat on its back, Jack" he sings in one verse. This line goes beyond even "Love And Peace Or Else" in its neutering of political meaning.

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2017, 07:17:42 AM »

I hear ya. Not exactly up to the standard to which im used to.
I'm trying to stay away from them until I hear them on the album to see if that changes my opinion.
Hey, hey, sha la la

Tafkab

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »

Holy shitballs, it's Tumbling Dice! Welcome back. . . .
Stop. Collaborate and listen
Dice is back with a brand new contention...

Couldn't agree more. Was happy to get new stuff but haven't really listened to any of them since

Though did hear 'best thing' played twice in the radio in Japan...