Turntables - What are you playing on them and what are you playing on?

• 59 Replies

achtungx

• Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
I know there was a topic of discussion on @U2, so thought that I'd start one here.

Been buying records for about 30+ years (and sometimes selling on Discogs). I finally decided to get a good turntable after years of thrift store finds and low-end models.

Now playing a U-Turn Audio Orbit Custom w/ white plinth, basic MDF platter, cue, and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Running it through a vintage mid-1970s Pioneer 8 track/receiver.

First records played on it were Pop, followed by Zooropa, followed by Achtung Baby, followed by Depeche Mode - Violator, Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes and a Public Enemy RSD picture disc from a few years back.

I tried out a copy of Badfinger - Straight Up that I had picked up a few years back as a 50 cent room find. Had cleaned it up (previously it was caked in dried mud). It sounded gorgeous!

So, what's your setup and what are you playing on it?
I saw Gloria live. Even if I never see the band live again, at least I saw Gloria live. :)

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
I have a nice vintage Pioneer PL-A35D. Latest record on it was this blue thing:  ;D

First Chair. Last Call.

achtungx

I have a nice vintage Pioneer PL-A35D. Latest record on it was this blue thing:  ;D

Nice. I still haven't open up my copy of that blue thing. Going to listen to that along side it's predecessor, the white thing some time.
I saw Gloria live. Even if I never see the band live again, at least I saw Gloria live. :)

MPare1966

This white thing?  ;)

First Chair. Last Call.

achtungx

This white thing?  ;)

Yes, that white thing.

MPare1966

This white thing?  ;)

Yes, that white thing.

Don't forget, side 4 on said white thing is 45 RPM.
First Chair. Last Call.

achtungx

This white thing?  ;)

Yes, that white thing.

I hate that the 12" Blackout single is 45 RPM. Damn it, I default to 33RPM when it's a 12" record. Geez! :)

MPare1966

This white thing?  ;)

Yes, that white thing.

I hate that the 12" Blackout single is 45 RPM. Damn it, I default to 33RPM when it's a 12" record. Geez! :)

At 45 RPM on a 12" record, sound quality is higher. That's the reason behind having a single extended remix on 12" at 45 RPM's.

First Chair. Last Call.

achtungx

This white thing?  ;)

Yes, that white thing.

At 45 RPM on a 12" record, sound quality is higher. That's the reason behind having a single extended remix on 12" at 45 RPM's.

Yeah, I know, but still. :) My "outrage" should really be aimed at U2 for not putting 45RPM somewhere on the label for it. :)

MPare1966

Yeah, I know, but still. :) My "outrage" should really be aimed at U2 for not putting 45RPM somewhere on the label for it. :)

First time I played TCB extended from this SOI LP, I tought my turntable was broke, so I know the feeling LOL
First Chair. Last Call.

guest94

First time I played TCB extended from this SOI LP, I tought my turntable was broke, so I know the feeling LOL

I think that happened to me too. It also happened recently with Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. For some reason that one's set to 45 while the rest of their vinyl is 33. Really threw me off for a minute. ;D

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
Listening to one of my Dad's unofficial live albums he got in Denmark in the 80s.
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

guest28

I have an original Rega Planar 3 turntable, with the highly regarded RB 300 tonearm. Last record i spun was u2 - Pop

guest87

Ah vinyl bootlegs with the artwork.  Them were the days.  Nothing's any good any more.

achtungx

I have an original Rega Planar 3 turntable, with the highly regarded RB 300 tonearm. Last record i spun was u2 - Pop

Very nice!

I finally let my wife know how much my Orbit cost... after I played her a few things on it :) . She thought it blew the other tables I had away. She agreed it was a huge upgrade. She buys old Singer sewing machines and collects them (she has 22 machines, Singer and other brands), while I now only have 5 turntables. I figure I need more. :)