Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread

• 18 Replies

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »

As U2 experimented with the artistic freedom they earned with WAR and UABRS, reformed their sound for the first time and made an unexpected choice of producer, this was the first reinvention.

Unforgettable fire appreciation time ...... go

--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

Codeguy

Re: Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »
For me, the greatest album of all time by any artist, and the one that cemented my budding fandom in 1984.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »
My favorite U2 album...probably my favorite album of all time. Just sublime throughout.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

guest94

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Second only to TJT for me, and even then it's VERY close. I didn't really care for this album when I first got it, then one afternoon it suddenly clicked into place and I've adored it ever since.

Can I also mention that I freaking love the production on this album? It's expansive, big, and ethereal all at once. No other album has been able to quite capture this same sound, nor has the band ever written so many of my favorites. Even the B-sides and outtakes from this era are stellar, making 1984-1985 my favorite U2 era. They were onto something truly special back then.

Did I mention I love this album?

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
Prolly my second favorite album (after AB and j u s t before Pop). I skip nothing on it except 4OJ. And EPAA is pure brilliance.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

il_capo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Like others here, this is the album that cemented my budding fandom and I've played it more than any other record by them.  It holds greater sentimental value to me than any other U2 record.  I'm not saying it's their best album but I rarely feel the need to skip a single track on it.  I voted for this alongside Achtung Baby in the best album thread.

guest4

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
It's got ASOH on it...even if every other song was "bad", that fact would make it a good album.
BUT, Wire is an amazing song...Bad is excellent. UF is really, really good. Indian Summer Sky...a very, very nice piece. Promenade is sweet. 4th of July, priceless. (Gee, do ya think I like this album?)
And, I absolutely love EPAA.

Acrobat

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »
Great album. #5 on my list. The only songs Im not that really crazy about are Indian Summer Sky and 4th Of July.
What are we going to do now it's all been said.
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read.

guest94

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
It's got ASOH on it...even if every other song was "bad", that fact would make it a good album.

ASOH might just be my favorite U2 song ever. That tune is sheer heaven.

guest4

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »

ASOH might just be my favorite U2 song ever. That tune is sheer heaven.
It never gets old, does it?

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
Best u2 album of the 80's for me - hands down.

guest4

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Keep your hands where we can see them, an tha.

Codeguy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
If Iím being totally honest I think 4th of July doesnít belong - there were plenty of better songs dropped - just IMHO - still my favorite album of all time

--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »
Mixed feelings on it as it being in the Pantheon of albums, kinda like Joy Behar driving off a cliff in my Maserati

Pride, ASOH, Bad.  10/10

The rest is a good listen through not stellar.  But I just got on vinyl for 8 bucks !!!!     

guest94

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
If Iím being totally honest I think 4th of July doesnít belong - there were plenty of better songs dropped - just IMHO - still my favorite album of all time

One thing I really appreciate about the album is that it's very much an "album", in the sense that some tracks (like 4th of July and EPAA) don't really make much sense outside the running order. It's a harder album to cherry pick individual cuts from, which is probably why Pride is the one song that everybody knows, as it's the most accessible and easy to digest. By itself 4th of July doesn't do much but within the album I think it fits beautifully.