Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread

• 18 Replies

il_capo

Re: Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »
If Iím being totally honest I think 4th of July doesnít belong - there were plenty of better songs dropped - just IMHO - still my favorite album of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I really appreciate about the album is that it's very much an "album", in the sense that some tracks (like 4th of July and EPAA) don't really make much sense outside the running order. It's a harder album to cherry pick individual cuts from, which is probably why Pride is the one song that everybody knows, as it's the most accessible and easy to digest. By itself 4th of July doesn't do much but within the album I think it fits beautifully.

I agree with this.  It came out before the era of digital music - so you had to listen to it on vinyl or cassette where it was harder to skip stuff to just play individual tracks.  You really experienced this album as a complete artistic vision.  If had come out 10 or 20 years later on a digital platform I expect many would have been "meh" to individual tracks like "4th of July", but I think this sketch fits beautifully at the start of side 2, leading into the epic "Bad".

guest28

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
The album is u2s first Masterpiece album (chronilogically speaking). Tis my third fave u2 album of all time. And im a HUGE fan of 4th of July too. It TOTALLY fits with the feel of the album.

Delta Sun

• Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Amazing album. Great under rated songs like Elvis Presley and America. I just love the drumming. One of the highlights of 360 was hearing the title track live for the first time.

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »
The album is u2s first Masterpiece album (chronilogically speaking). Tis my third fave u2 album of all time. And im a HUGE fan of 4th of July too. It TOTALLY fits with the feel of the album.
Ah Smee - we are going to have to school you on the greatness of WAR .
--------
Fuck the coronavirus!