How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (kind of) Appreciation Thread (+ poll!!)

• 75 Replies

Miracledrug

• everything about you is so easy to love
Re: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (kind of) Appreciation Thread (+ poll!!)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 04:38:35 AM »
Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, City of Blinding Lights for me

mdmomof7

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
1. Miracle Drug
2. Crumbs from Your Table
3. City of Blinding Lights

I still love this album, as unpopular as it may be among fans. It's far from the band's best or bravest, but something about it just works for me. I feel old knowing it's nearly 13 years old, released just as I had started college, so that may be one attachment that keeps it fresh for me. It was the soundtrack to my college years and that whole period was a fun time to be a fan.

My vote too and in the same order, but it was so hard not to include Sometimes. It really should be here and if it weren't for Devil Wears Prada, and Paris, COBL wouldn't be here on the list.

I also ♥ ABOY.

Rating U2 likes and loves is always far too difficult, which is a blessing really.

This album is part of the War, HTDAAB, SOI trilogy for me.
Shout for joy if you get the chance

Jen

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »
I can listen to all of this album, some songs more than others, except All Because Of You. Bono's out-of-tune vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
1. Miracle Drug
2. Crumbs from Your Table
3. City of Blinding Lights

I still love this album, as unpopular as it may be among fans. It's far from the band's best or bravest, but something about it just works for me. I feel old knowing it's nearly 13 years old, released just as I had started college, so that may be one attachment that keeps it fresh for me. It was the soundtrack to my college years and that whole period was a fun time to be a fan.

My vote too and in the same order, but it was so hard not to include Sometimes. It really should be here and if it weren't for Devil Wears Prada, and Paris, COBL wouldn't be here on the list.

I also ♥ ABOY.

Rating U2 likes and loves is always far too difficult, which is a blessing really.

This album is part of the War, HTDAAB, SOI trilogy for me.
You see War, Bomb and SOI as a trilogy? Tell me more about it  :)
See through in the sunlight

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
I can listen to all of this album, some songs more than others, except All Because Of You. Bono's out-of-tune vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
I just love the that out-of-tune style. It's pretty cool. I hated it first, though
See through in the sunlight

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
Native Son rocks my world - every time - in fact Id take an entire album of HTDAAB rejects over ATYCLB
--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
I actually prefer this album over atyclb. There's a bit more 'balls' to this album.
It's a bit of a guilty pleasure to sing along to if I'm boozing in the kitchen whilst my wife watches 'scandal' in the living room on a Friday or Saturday night (which She and I are doing now, funny enough!  ;D)

Anyway. My three are:

Miracle drug
Sycmioyo
Lapoe

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:21:12 PM by Miami »

THRILLHO

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
the 3 worst are easily the middle three as is now common for u2. by that i mean aboy/amaaw/cfyt

The Edges Cat

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 05:45:22 AM »
First two were easy choices - Vertigo and City of Blinding Lights. And then I got stuck on my third choice. I had a few candidates, but I regard them all equally. Went with Original of the Species as my third track, by a whisker over Sometimes and Crumbs. There's a moment after the bridge where you can hear Bono grinning (he almost laughs) when the song really kicks forward and everything comes together.
The Edge: [Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, You know what? Were not going to second-guess any of this. Lets just go for it.

We'd all love to see that, Edge.

guest4

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
I woke up with "Crumbs" playing in my head this morning (at 3:30 am). Great tune.

il_capo

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
City of Blinding Light is certainly one that is fantastic live.  I also like Miracle Drug, but am honest enough to admit it is derivative of Beautiful Day. 

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
City of Blinding Light is certainly one that is fantastic live.  I also like Miracle Drug, but am honest enough to admit it is derivative of Beautiful Day.
COBL is terrific live.
I just can't get into Miracle Drug
Hey, hey, sha la la

il_capo

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »
COBL is terrific live.

Oh no.... our first disagreement!!  We were getting on so well too  ;)

I suppose I like the energy and positivity of Miracle Drug.  Lots of fireworks in the song - but I suppose they left you with nothing  :P

guest4

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
COBL is terrific live.

Oh no.... our first disagreement!!  We were getting on so well too  ;)

I suppose I like the energy and positivity of Miracle Drug.  Lots of fireworks in the song - but I suppose they left you with nothing  :P
oh, il_capo, you are SO right...we can no longer be friends with 'mama if she doesn't like Miracle Drug!  :D   

Twilight

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but it's ALL new to me, sooo....

Bomb is probably my favorite album of that decade, and possibly even my favorite after R&H. (Possibly not, though, Pop's giving it a good run for its money.)  If this record had been vinyl, I would have played the grooves right off of it.

Why? I think for one reason, I was just so starved for U2 at the time. Or for anything new that was also listenable; there wasn't much else that attracted me in that era. So nostalgia is a factor. But mostly it's just got so many songs on it that make me want to do what all my favorite music makes me want to do ... learn the words, sing along, play it again and again, jump around the room, right some wrongs, cry a little, reflect a lot, get inspired, learn something new, pay attention to the world. I.e., take an interest in something outside of my usual little life. That's what most of my favorite music does, I think. But U2's at the top of the pile.

My 3 favorites: City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs, and Love and Peace (growwwwwl!) Or maybe some others, depending on the day :) but definitely Love and Peace.
Are you tough enough to be kind?