R.I.P

• 149 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
R.I.P
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip died Tuesday from brain cancer. The Hip were huge in their home country of Canada, but for some reason never broke internationally. They were a great band who peaked in the 90's and had a catalogue of great songs.

I strongly urge any U2 fan to check out these songs. Some of the best songs from anyone in that era.

Wheat Kings

Ahead By A Century

Nautical Disaster
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

guest4

Re: R.I.P
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
RIP...

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
I've never listened to the Hip, but was sad to hear about Gord's cancer and now his passing. Definitely another sad day for music.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »
Rest easy, Gord. You earned it.

:'(

Just might have to break out Nautical Disaster or Music @Work during Friday's set.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
I've been a huge Hip fan since I grew up in Buffalo - just across the border from Canada and the TTH was really big there.  I saw them live in 2000 and a couple times after that.  I still rock a TTH Canadian Flag bumper sticker on my car here in KC.

I didn't hear the news until now.  I watched the last show live and I am sad to hear about the passing of Gord.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
I've never listened to the Hip, but was sad to hear about Gord's cancer and now his passing. Definitely another sad day for music.

Take a listen to Wheat Kings which I linked in the original post. Just a beautiful song.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

Aviastar

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
I love Wheat Kings

as well as: Bobcaygeon

It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken

and I LOVE The Darkest One

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:57:18 PM by Aviastar »
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I have never heard of this group but express my sympathy with all those who suffer from this terrible scab. A month ago, I lost my best friend who died of acute leukemia.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:55 PM »
I still remember every minute of this gig, watching from home because I didn't want to cry in public at one of the dozens of viewing parties that happened here in the Detroit/Windsor area. For that reason alone, I salute every fan in this video.

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
I still remember every minute of this gig, watching from home because I didn't want to cry in public at one of the dozens of viewing parties that happened here in the Detroit/Windsor area. For that reason alone, I salute every fan in this video.

+1
Thank you
Hey, hey, sha la la

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
Eamonn Campbell from The Dubliners (since 1987), aged 70 (the one that suggested The Dubliners worked with The Pogues - resulting in The Irish Rover).  Played with U2 as a tribute to Ronnie Drew (also of The Dubliners).
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

mariamontreal

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »
Living in Canada they were big here R.I.P Gord
She moves in mysterious ways

Aviastar

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »
Living in Canada they were big here R.I.P Gord

Iíve been sad about Gord for days.  The Hip were a huge part of my youth.  We were born and raised on the same lakeshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
George Young - producer of AC/DC and brother of Malcolm and Angus. Aged 70.  Never a big AC/DC fan, but he made his mark on the music business given the band's global popularity.

One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

guest22

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
I still can't get over so many of my favourite singers all passing away over the past year or so - David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington! It's been one after the other! George and Chris hit me particularly badly. They were my long time idols! :(