Bono’s Health Scare...

• 50 Replies

Wik73

Bono’s Health Scare...
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bono-health-crisis/

Did we know that this was health related? I thought there was still some question whether it was the bombing in France Bono was near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ultra Beasts

• The abominations formerly known as WhenIsSOE
Re: Bono’s Health Scare...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bono-health-crisis/

Did we know that this was health related? I thought there was still some question whether it was the bombing in France Bono was near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope he's OK.
Sign me petition to get some great missing albums on Spotify!
https://www.change.org/p/daniel-ek-bring-some-great-albums-to-spotify

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
"He just didn’t want to mention what was going on in my world. I don’t want to get too into the details of it, for fear of the melodramatic reality-TV kerfuffle. A lot of people have these moments. I’ve had a few. Not quite at this level."

And yet by mentioning it--and declining to go into specifics--you've kind of introduced that melodramatic reality-TV kerfuffle you hoped to avoid. People are going to be talking about this and trying to figure out just what happened and, to an extent, it will overshadow talk of the new album.

Either don't mention it at all (too late for that) or just come out and say what happened to end the talk.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
sure all will be revealed in due time... probably with a book to pitch (interview style of course)

The Ultra Beasts

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
"He just didn’t want to mention what was going on in my world. I don’t want to get too into the details of it, for fear of the melodramatic reality-TV kerfuffle. A lot of people have these moments. I’ve had a few. Not quite at this level."

And yet by mentioning it--and declining to go into specifics--you've kind of introduced that melodramatic reality-TV kerfuffle you hoped to avoid. People are going to be talking about this and trying to figure out just what happened and, to an extent, it will overshadow talk of the new album.

Either don't mention it at all (too late for that) or just come out and say what happened to end the talk.
I agree that they should either have not said it or  told us what it was, but I hope this won't overshadow the new album. It couldn't!

Shank Asu

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »

I agree that they should either have not said it or  told us what it was, but I hope this won't overshadow the new album. It couldn't!
I think Bono is too much of a punch line and punching bag in the eye of the general public for anything personal that happens for him to overshadow the music.

mariamontreal

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
It will remain a mystery
She moves in mysterious ways

seatakestheship

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »

But how else will they generate publicity to sell the album?

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »

I kind of see what you are saying but for my money this is clearly a case of getting some publicity but without needing to open up too much.

Saying nothing wouldn't lead to as many stories about the album so by just giving enough away they ensure a bomb load of stories in the media leading with the 'scare' .....we wouldn't be discussing it now in here for example if they had said nothing....

On my recommended articles feed on google on my phone today is an NME article headlined 'u2 discuss how bono's health scare inspired new album songs of experience'.

I actually think it is quite 'cheap' of the band in all honesty to put it out there like this.....for me if you don't want people to know what happened then don't say anything at all.

But they in my view have gone down the road of using what they know will be a story that will get run a lot to ultimately help promote the new album - I don't like that idea.....of course it is just how i see it and i can't 'prove' it but it very much looks that way to me.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:14:00 PM by an tha »
©️1972

Shank Asu

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »

I kind of see what you are saying but for my money this is clearly a case of getting some publicity but without needing to open up too much.

Saying nothing wouldn't lead to as many stories about the album so by just giving enough away they ensure a bomb load of stories in the media leading with the 'scare' .....we wouldn't be discussing it now in here for example if they had said nothing....

On my recommended articles feed on google on my phone today is an NME article headlined 'u2 discuss how bono's health scare inspired new album songs of experience'.

I actually think it is quite 'cheap' of the band in all honesty to put it out there like this.....for me if you don't want people to know what happened then don't say anything at all.

But they in my view have gone down the road of using what they know will be a story that will get run a lot to ultimately help promote the new album - I don't like that idea.....of course it is just how i see it and i can't 'prove' it but it very much looks that way to me.
you want to offer just the little pink spoon, not the full sundae.

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
There are people out there that will, very unfortunately, be dismayed that Bono isn't dead yet.

Do you remember the 'Make Bono History' campaign around 2005?  The Anti-Bono Brigade were out in force having gotten fed up with the way he was promoting 'Make Poverty History' / African Debt etc

When SOI/I&E tour was released / tour dates announced, there was a backlash in some of the media outlets via the 'comments' section.  I remember reading one particularly sickening genuine comment someone posted about the then upcoming I&E tour.  The online newspaper article describe the tour as electrifying and explosive (or words to that effect) and someone posted that they wished a concert would end in an explosion and there would be no more from Bono.  Given that this was pre Paris/pre Manchester, that was very, very chilling.  I think it might have been one of the British rags' websites.

Bono does read internet comments about himself, just go and check out his acceptance speech at the Woman of the Year awards last December and you'll see that he takes self-parody to some extent.  But sometimes you can't do that. 

Maybe this is a way of saying, yeah look I'm not dead yet.  If it is, I hope that the truth is outed because it would actually help Bono rise up above his critics now, rather than us all debating/speculating what it was that could have killed him.

Long live Bono, Godspeed.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

The Ultra Beasts

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »

Hmm.... That would be incredibly shrewd. AND AWESOME. I don't think they made it up though, the band members are too nice to do that.

The Ultra Beasts

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
There are people out there that will, very unfortunately, be dismayed that Bono isn't dead yet.

Do you remember the 'Make Bono History' campaign around 2005?  The Anti-Bono Brigade were out in force having gotten fed up with the way he was promoting 'Make Poverty History' / African Debt etc

When SOI/I&E tour was released / tour dates announced, there was a backlash in some of the media outlets via the 'comments' section.  I remember reading one particularly sickening genuine comment someone posted about the then upcoming I&E tour.  The online newspaper article describe the tour as electrifying and explosive (or words to that effect) and someone posted that they wished a concert would end in an explosion and there would be no more from Bono.  Given that this was pre Paris/pre Manchester, that was very, very chilling.  I think it might have been one of the British rags' websites.

Bono does read internet comments about himself, just go and check out his acceptance speech at the Woman of the Year awards last December and you'll see that he takes self-parody to some extent.  But sometimes you can't do that. 

Maybe this is a way of saying, yeah look I'm not dead yet.  If it is, I hope that the truth is outed because it would actually help Bono rise up above his critics now, rather than us all debating/speculating what it was that could have killed him.

Long live Bono, Godspeed.
I hope that person who said Bono should die in a terrorist attack ironically died by drowning on his own sweat and angry tears.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »

Hmm.... That would be incredibly shrewd. AND AWESOME. I don't think they made it up though, the band members are too nice to do that.

I don't think for a moment they made it up.
©️1972

The Ultra Beasts

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »

I don't think for a moment they made it up.
We didn't say we did! In fact, we doubted it pretty strongly.