Dire Straits (& Mark Knopfler)

• 12 Replies

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
I think Mark Knopfler has made (musically) the best band ever! Before I was really into U2, I was totally into Dire Straits. I've seen him live in 2015 and it was great (sometimes a bit boring since I didn't know his solo songs too well.

Their best songs? Telegraph Road and/or Private Investigation is probably a bit obvious. I think these are their best songs:
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • It Never Rains
  • Local Hero: Wild Theme (not a Dire Straits song, it's Marks, but often played by the band)
  • So Far Away

Local Hero was the closer of the concert I went to. Just amazing! A kind of "40" (which I've never heard live).

I hope they'll reunite, but Mark don't want to. Pinkpop had tried to do it for the festival of 2019. But it's already ruled out.

Which songs of them do you like? It can also be a song of Mark (solo) or from the bassist (which went solo recently). A collaboration with U2 would be great!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:22:22 AM by JFW »
See through in the sunlight

guest4

Re: Dire Straits (& Mark Knopfler)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
Mark is in my top ten of fav guitarists. I think my favorite song would be Lady Writer...not sure why! Have you ever heard his album with Emmylou Harris? Beautiful...

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
Mark is in my top ten of fav guitarists. I think my favorite song would be Lady Writer...not sure why! Have you ever heard his album with Emmylou Harris? Beautiful...
There are so many more good Dire Straits songs ('songs' is just not the right word). Nope, I haven't. It's called All The Roadrunning, didn't even know it exist. Thanks for the tip. Wherever I Go with Ruth Moody is great, too. Live it was as emotional as Romeo and Juliet! Mark just needs a women next to him on stage.

guest28

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
I appreciate me a chunk of Dire Straits here and there. Even my youngest likes them (i think its his fave band). At my dads funeral, i asked them to play the Walk Of Life as his Coffin was being wheeled out. My Dad loved that tune and i thought it was somewhat ironic song to play :)

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »

Really cool collaboration, I really like Dire Straits, did not know much of Emmylou's stuff, but Red Dirt Girl on this recording gets me every time.

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Industrial Disease is a really cool song, one of the gems of theirs I like a lot.  Got to see them back in '85 I think with the late great SRV opening.  What a show!

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
I appreciate me a chunk of Dire Straits here and there. Even my youngest likes them (i think its his fave band). At my dads funeral, i asked them to play the Walk Of Life as his Coffin was being wheeled out. My Dad loved that tune and i thought it was somewhat ironic song to play :)
My friend had once a funeral of a friend of him. They played You And Your Friend. We said to each other that it should be Local Hero on ours, because it's sometimes called 'Going Home'.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Industrial Disease is a really cool song, one of the gems of theirs I like a lot.  Got to see them back in '85 I think with the late great SRV opening.  What a show!
Nice! I never heard someone praising Industial Disease. Most of the times people are saying it's the weak spot on Love Over Gold

robgalloway

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »
I often jam in Mark Knopflers old local pub in Leeds (The Grove) and one of his musical buddies is a guy called Brendan Croker and over the years he has given me bits of guidance.

I think they had a band called 5 O'Clock shadows or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »
I often jam in Mark Knopflers old local pub in Leeds (The Grove) and one of his musical buddies is a guy called Brendan Croker and over the years he has given me bits of guidance.

I think they had a band called 5 O'Clock shadows or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Must be great to do, Rob. Never heard of that band, could be interesting. :)

THRILLHO

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Brothers In Arm and Love Over Gold used to be the ONLY albums i'd listen to while night driving, period. I have a few of the others, Communique and Making Movies, but they didn't stick with me like BIA and LOG did.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
Brothers In Arm and Love Over Gold used to be the ONLY albums i'd listen to while night driving, period. I have a few of the others, Communique and Making Movies, but they didn't stick with me like BIA and LOG did.
Love Over Gold is just great. Communique I listen sometimes because the LP sounds so clear (buy it!). Most of the songs on Making Movies are better live.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »
Loved the love over gold and brothers in arms albums - fell off the path with on every street
-------

Too tall to be a despot