Fuck it, it's been a while....

• 35 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Fuck it, it's been a while....
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
....since we last paid homage (or for the heathens out there slated) the incredible, fucking genius that is THE POP HONG KONG MIXES!

The greatest known recordings of u2 are on this video IMHO....I know some (maybe a lot) won't agree with that - and that is cool, but I love this video....Pop was great in my book, but fucking hell this video shows it could have been even better - which is actually a staggering and scary thought.

Enjoy, folks....never mind the fact we have been here before - just drink it in!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:31:44 PM by an tha »
©️1972

riffraff

• Surrender, dislocate
Re: Fuck it, it's been a while....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »
I absolutely love this! Have watched it SO many times...and will watch it again. And probably again. 
Surrender, dislocate

The Edges Cat

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:53:40 PM »
Hell. Yeah.

That version of Playboy Mansion kills the album cut. Mofo was getting a little too Beastie Boys before they nailed it for the album though.

See Edge, you can make great songs that also set off sonic fireworks! It's not one or the other, you can do both at once! And I don't care if Bono said that, not you. You're all in on it!

I'm enjoying some of today's U2... but gee, we could use that U2 again. Ballsy, arrogant, not giving a f***. I've been saying it for over a decade now, but I sincerely believe Pop is an album/chapter of U2 ahead of its time, it feels like something they should do now (or circa NLOTH). U2 are always so much more interesting when the Devil's in the studio with the Angels.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:59:50 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

riffraff

• Surrender, dislocate
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »
Hell. Yeah.

That version of Playboy Mansion kills the album cut. Mofo was getting a little too Beastie Boys before they nailed it for the album though.

See Edge, you can make great songs that also set off sonic fireworks! It's not one or the other, you can do both at once! And I don't care if Bono said that, not you. You're all in on it!

I'm enjoying some of today's U2... but gee, we could use that U2 again. Ballsy, arrogant, not giving a f***. I've been saying it for over a decade now, but I sincerely believe Pop is an album/chapter of U2 ahead of its time, it feels like something they should do now (or circa NLOTH). U2 are always so much more interesting when the Devil's in the studio with the Angels.
Sometimes, though not often, the devil knows what he's doing.

I was thinking...when I grow up, I want to be the Girl From S.I.N.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:07:27 AM by riffraff »
Surrender, dislocate

Amor fati

• Under the white horses
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
That video is great fun,  but oh so politically incorrect  ;D

The constant cigarette smoking,  gun violence,  The girl from S.I.N.   :D

Today's u2 could never be this much fun - and we know they don't sound nearly as good either

Thank God for 90's u2.  I can't imagine falling for them the way i did if the 90's never happened.   8)

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Thank God for 90's u2.  I can't imagine falling for them the way i did if the 90's never happened.   8)

A-fucking-men. '90s U2 is especially poignant for those of us who were growing up at the time and figuring out the world and our own place in it. For me, "Budapest in the '90s" is my version of the proverbial "Paris in the '20s" or "New  York in the '50s." It was a time of self-discovery filled with cobblestone and wrought iron and gargoyles, and U2 provided the soundtrack for it all.

Discovering an album like Pop years after the fact just isn't the same. You kind of had to be there.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Amor fati

• Under the white horses
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »

A-fucking-men. '90s U2 is especially poignant for those of us who were growing up at the time and figuring out the world and our own place in it. For me, "Budapest in the '90s" is my version of the proverbial "Paris in the '20s" or "New  York in the '50s." It was a time of self-discovery filled with cobblestone and wrought iron and gargoyles, and U2 provided the soundtrack for it all.

Discovering an album like Pop years after the fact just isn't the same. You kind of had to be there.

Your experience (cobblestone and wrought iron and gargoyles) sounds fantastic.  You can take a million pictures but the memories are better than any frame.  Can only imagine how Zooropa would have sounded in Budapest. 

POP is otherwordly,  exotic,  i cannot say this enough.  It has a certain quality that in my mind only exists on about 3 records.  I was in Korea when it came out,  i purchased my original copy (still have to this day) in Seoul.  First listened to it in a bar over a couple of early afternoon beverages,  the bartender played DYFL and Mofo.  After he pulled the CD out of the sound system and gave it back to me,  i was still in shock and awe at what i had just heard. 

We evacuated our quiet two story bar for the chaos that was down below,  Iteawon,  the busy shopping district in full swing.  I could still hear the sonic boom from Mofo ringing in my ears,  it made perfect sense in the hustle and bustle of the packed streets with cars in every direction,  people honking their horns,  motorbikes darting in and out of spaces they shouldn't have,  other people combing the sidewalks and haggling with store vendors over their prices on leather,  etc. 

It was pure chaos - and my ears were no longer that of a virgin - i began to realize the clouds were a lot closer than they seemed and the spirits didn't always reside among them. 

I will never be that age again,  and the world has changed in so many ways im not sure i'd even want to.  But oh - those memories - who needs to climb Mt Everest when you've sang karaoke in a crowded bar at 4 am and nobody knows you but everyone is cheering you along.  And the lady that has been eyeballing you for the last 30 minutes,  you walk up to her to join her for a drink,  and realize she has an exotic cat of some kind on a leash sitting in the seat next to her. 

So many memories,  so many stories,  so little time...   8)

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »
Haha
See through in the sunlight

guest94

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
I miss when the band made goofy stuff like that. It's really a shame that a Pop remaster set never happened, as having those full demos and alternate cuts would have been really incredible.

achtungx

• Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 11:24:32 PM »
I love this. Amazes me how much "more" Pop  could've been. Wow.

I saw Gloria live. Even if I never see the band live again, at least I saw Gloria live. :)

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »
I'm sure stuff like that will see the light of day at one point. Question is : in our lifetime ? Not sure. It'll be a decision made by the kids of the band members, not themselves. When the band has ceased to exist and their legacy is less tainted by U2's own frustration over Pop.

Hope i'm wrong, though.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

guest403

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
....since we last paid homage (or for the heathens out there slated) the incredible, fucking genius that is THE POP HONG KONG MIXES!

The greatest known recordings of u2 are on this video IMHO....I know some (maybe a lot) won't agree with that - and that is cool, but I love this video....Pop was great in my book, but fucking hell this video shows it could have been even better - which is actually a staggering and scary thought.

Enjoy, folks....never mind the fact we have been here before - just drink it in!!

Acieed

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:36:02 AM »
They need to take 'shrooms/LSD again.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

Acrobat

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »
What everyone else has said. And more.

Brilliance. Sadly, they have that no more.
What are we going to do now it's all been said.
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 09:35:00 PM »
Well it is just over a year ago since this thread was created and yeah the video is posted by me reasonably regularly but fuck it.....BUMP!
©️1972