Bono (and maybe U2) Is Not A Fan Of Progressive Rock Music (RIP Neil Peart)

• 76 Replies

The Edges Cat

solipsistic.[/i]

WTF does this even mean?

Extreme egocentrism. They think the sun shines out of their arses and no one can understand how brilliant their 20 minute drum solo is. Which is what a lot of prog-rockers thought of themselves. I'd throw it at a lot of indie artists too (oooh, we're so edgy and too brilliant for the mainstream). Not to be confused with the U2 version of egocentrism, which is a hopeless optimism in their own ability to write radio hits and an inability to recognise their own shite.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:55:04 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

jick

Jick, why are you manufacturing a spiteful feud between U2 and Neil Peart? I've never once heard either of them reference the other, and you plucked a Bono quote about prog-rock to labour the point. Just not buying what you're selling here.

Neil Peart is the trending topic now.  What I am doing is what is called in modern Internet linggo as "trend-jacking."

What I am pointing out is that U2 will not be writing any tributes to Rush or Peart, and have never done so.  And even you admit they have never referenced the other.

So I am trying to find a reason why they have never referenced each other, and my hypothesis is based on Bono's comments on progressive rock over the years and Peart's comment about simple repetitive songs.  It's just pure theory and speculation by me adding one and one together.  And in forum topics, that's why it's a discussion board - it's all theories, speculations and opinions.

If you want hard facts, you can always go to a news site but even those facts are dubious now with the integration of fake news to mainstream culture.

Cheers,

J

BonosHat

• If you wear that velvet dress
This is ludicrous. Bono may have said some things about progressive music, but they openly cite several progressive acts as influences. David Bowie isn't progressive, for instance? Also, making this statement in a thread about the death of a progressive drummer makes it seem mean spirited.
Toronto Girl, 27, Bono fan for life, ONE activist

Zeropartii

• Speak !
I hate when Bono refers to U2 as punk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlyDanner

solipsistic.[/i]

WTF does this even mean?

Extreme egocentrism. They think the sun shines out of their arses and no one can understand how brilliant their 20 minute drum solo is. Which is what a lot of prog-rockers thought of themselves. I'd throw it at a lot of indie artists too (oooh, we're so edgy and too brilliant for the mainstream). Not to be confused with the U2 version of egocentrism, which is a hopeless optimism in their own ability to write radio hits and an inability to recognise their own shite.

I was talking about the overall statement, not any specific word.

It’s absurd.  But par for the course for Mr Hewson. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:31:57 PM by SlyDanner »

The Edges Cat

Jick, play Volcano and stay safe!
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

tortuga

U2 may not care much for progressive rock.  I’ve read similar quotes from the Edge.  But in the case of Rush specifically, the feeling is not mutual.  Geddy Lee interviewed Adam Clayton for his recent book.  And Alex Lifeson acknowledged the favorable influence of both The Edge and Andy Summers in a 2007 Guitar World interview.  Read the last paragraph.

"GW: ...how influenced were you by new wave? Many of the songs on [Moving Pictures] are short and poppy, at least by Rush standards, and your guitar sound bears similarities to that of Andy Summers."

"Alex Lifeson: I was very influenced, in many ways.  I cut my hair! [laughs] That shocked a lot of our longtime fans who were used to my long flowing locks.  Also, I started dressing cooler, more au courant, wearing bright, colorful blazers and ties.  I didn't look like I'd just come from a Rennaissance fair. [laughs]

"It was time for all of us to change, musically, visually—our entire attitude.  The songs got shorter, more accessible.  It felt good to become a bit of a new band.  We were listening to the Police, and their impact was huge.  We saw that a rock trio could do so many different things."

"GW: A hint of that impact was apparent on Permanent Waves--the reggae break in 'The Spirit of Radio'--and on 'Vital Signs,' from Moving Pictures." 

"Lifeson: Yep. That was early Police influence.  Their rhythms, their sounds... It was exciting as when Cream came out.  For us, it was a matter of using those New Wave influences in ways that enhanced, but didn't degrade, what we were doing.

"There was the Edge, too.  What he did with the echo pedal is beyond measure.  Yeah, the Edge and Andy Summers were high on my list in those days.  Still are."

jick

Jick, play Volcano and stay safe!

Play Volcano, yes I already did given the times now.

Stay safe - yes I will since I am in a different island, 300 kilometers away from the action.  I actually had to take a 1 hour plane ride, and 2 hours in traffic, and another 2 hours in the queue to enter the arena - just to watch U2 in my country.  But your thoughts are much appreciated.

Back to the topic, I am sort of trying to find a reason why U2 and Rush have never referenced each other and maybe they don't like each other's music.

But as fans, it's ok to love all spectrums of music.  I love U2 - and Bon Jovi and also Rush.

With all due respect to Mullen and Bonham, I personally think Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all-time.

Cheers,

J

jick

U2 may not care much for progressive rock.  I’ve read similar quotes from the Edge.  But in the case of Rush specifically, the feeling is not mutual.  Geddy Lee interviewed Adam Clayton for his recent book.  And Alex Lifeson acknowledged the favorable influence of both The Edge and Andy Summers in a 2007 Guitar World interview.  Read the last paragraph.

"GW: ...how influenced were you by new wave? Many of the songs on [Moving Pictures] are short and poppy, at least by Rush standards, and your guitar sound bears similarities to that of Andy Summers."

"Alex Lifeson: I was very influenced, in many ways.  I cut my hair! [laughs] That shocked a lot of our longtime fans who were used to my long flowing locks.  Also, I started dressing cooler, more au courant, wearing bright, colorful blazers and ties.  I didn't look like I'd just come from a Rennaissance fair. [laughs]

"It was time for all of us to change, musically, visually—our entire attitude.  The songs got shorter, more accessible.  It felt good to become a bit of a new band.  We were listening to the Police, and their impact was huge.  We saw that a rock trio could do so many different things."

"GW: A hint of that impact was apparent on Permanent Waves--the reggae break in 'The Spirit of Radio'--and on 'Vital Signs,' from Moving Pictures." 

"Lifeson: Yep. That was early Police influence.  Their rhythms, their sounds... It was exciting as when Cream came out.  For us, it was a matter of using those New Wave influences in ways that enhanced, but didn't degrade, what we were doing.

"There was the Edge, too.  What he did with the echo pedal is beyond measure.  Yeah, the Edge and Andy Summers were high on my list in those days.  Still are."

Thank you for sharing this.  This is gold.

I love The Police.  Permanent Waves is my favorite Rush album, and I love that reggae break in Spirit Of Radio.

It's great to see The Edge's influence in progressive rock.

As much as U2 despise progressive rock, I think I've read or heard somewhere that Dream Theater used to cover U2's Red Hill Mining Town even before U2 themselves ever played it live.

Cheers,

J

Loyal Deserter

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
I like what Bono has to say here.  U2 isn't punk, but they do approach music in a punkish way.  When music gets technical and "impressive" it often loses its heart and ceases to be music to be shared and enjoyed.  Catchiness is good, and some of the hardcore fans tend to denounce it in favor of things being "experimental" or "interesting."  I don't give a damn what time signature a song is in or how hard it is to play.  Just make it good.  That's what punk does, and it's also what U2 do.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive

Very cool. Thanks for that. I never would have thought Edge was an influence on Alex Lifeson.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

SlyDanner

I like what Bono has to say here.  U2 isn't punk, but they do approach music in a punkish way.  When music gets technical and "impressive" it often loses its heart and ceases to be music to be shared and enjoyed.  Catchiness is good, and some of the hardcore fans tend to denounce it in favor of things being "experimental" or "interesting."  I don't give a damn what time signature a song is in or how hard it is to play.  Just make it good.  That's what punk does, and it's also what U2 do.

Didn't realize that hiring a thousand producers to engineer (and sometimes co-write, without any credit) songs to be catchy and popular was considered punk.  I guess I have learned something new.

Also, when you say 'When music gets technical and "impressive" it often loses its heart' I think you are describing modern U2.  But what do I know.

73October

• Dream out loud
Is spiritual rock a genre? That's where U2 are.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

laoghaire

Tortuga. Fist bump.

guest94

I love both U2 and Rush. They're very different bands and that's not a bad thing at all. They each bring something new to the table; I can't see U2 writing something as technical and mind-blowing as "The Camera Eye", nor could I see Rush doing something as simple and emotional as "With or Without You". Both are masterpieces in their own right. 

I hate when people feel the need to pit artists and genres against each other. I love a good pop song like Kylie's "Can't Get You Out of My Head" and I love a good metal song like Metallica's "Disposable Heroes". There's room in my library for all types and I doubt that Rush and U2 have some kind of animosity.