What's the difference between the 00s and the 10s?

• 6 Replies

laoghaire

What's the difference between the 00s and the 10s?
« on: September 12, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
Going back to the 1940s (20s, even), I could articulate to you a sense of each decade in terms of the sound of popular music, the clothing and hair styles, even a color palette associated with that decade.

Right up through the 1990s, I can do that.

But what do the 00s look like? And what distinguishes the 00s and the 10s from each other?

NOT talking about politics or events here, just fashion, music, pop culture, the "look/feel/sound" of the times.

I guess the "hipster" was kind of the persona but it just seems to have less character than times past.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: What's the difference between the 00s and the 10s?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
Everything has been done.

The new ground that was regularly broken culturally decade after decade is no longer there - we are constantly getting better tecnnically and in some areas of how we live, but when it comes to cultural stuff like music we are remodelling stuff which in itself can be interesting but we aren't breaking and enjoying the exploration and endless possibilities of new ground.

Plus if (not saying you are) you are looking to u2 for example musically you simply won't see the sort of creation of the new to inspire the sort of feeling that punk or new wave or britpop etc etc did in the past.

There is however great stuff out there - it may not be stuff that is creating new movements or defined cultural milestones, but there is greatness out there nonetheless.....things are also a lot more diverse now than ever before and how we consume is much more wide/diluted - meaning things are much less likely to go mainstream/be so widely adopted than ever before.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:08:38 PM by an tha »
©️1972

laoghaire

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
After ten thousand years of humanity, we ran out of ideas around 1996?

Btw I am not talking only about music. I could cosplay a person from the 70s and you'd know exactly what decade I was from. I could wear grunge jeans, a babydoll top, and flannel, and I don't have to explain what time I am talking about. I could show you a duck's ass and you know when it's from.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
After ten thousand years of humanity, we ran out of ideas around 1996?

Btw I am not talking only about music. I could cosplay a person from the 70s and you'd know exactly what decade I was from. I could wear grunge jeans, a babydoll top, and flannel, and I don't have to explain what time I am talking about. I could show you a duck's ass and you know when it's from.

Things are also a lot more diverse now than ever before and how we consume is much more wide/diluted - meaning things are much less likely to go mainstream/be so widely adopted than ever before.

We were much more narrow in what we saw and what became 'in' back 'in the day' than we are now and as a result things took hold widely then in a way they simply don't now.

We all tuned in to our 1 of about 5 tv channels in the 60's/70's/80's saw what was 'cool' and it was copied by the masses.....that has changed slowly but surely and really accelerated in the 00's/10's.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:17:04 PM by an tha »
©️1972

financeguy1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »
Nothing, they are both s.hit.

imaginary friend

• your picture of yourself is a media myth
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »
a 1.
find a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

guest582

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »
Not much.  The 00s gave the world the smartphone.  What has the decade that followed given the world?

Musically, it's all pretty much indistinguishable to me.